My girls are cold: am i being too soft.

i have a chicken in my extra bedroom right now as its going to be about 20 degrees tonight. chicken makes less mess than my teenagers so its a fair trade off lol:weee

Just be aware when you take them back out that they will have to deal with a huge sudden drop in temp and that could make them sick.

Does your downstairs bathroom have a window?? If it does, I'd consider cracking it and keeping the door shut (so you're not affecting other parts of the house) to cool down the bathroom so it's not such a drastic change when the weather improves and they go back outside. I completely understand your worry though...it's nice to have the option to bring them in with just a few birds!
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. Remember that they have winter coats on. It is like us stepping out with down coats into a heat wave when you bring them into typical "human" indoor temps.

My DH is always giving me lectures on how my chickens are livestock and they aren't to be treated as pets. I of course, ignore him and give them treats (warm oatmeal with yougurt and veggies) and pet them anyway. After all his "talks" , on Monday, he went to the farmstore and got my chickie girls a calf barn heater because "it is going to be -22 wind chill this week and he has spent to much money to have chickens get frostbite!" He also got them a much bigger heated waterer, some "better" scratch than I had been giving them (is there such a thing as better scratch?) and extra pine shavings. Oh and he threw out copious amounts of straw in their run because he could tell they were bored and they could play in the straw. Next time I hear a man accuse women of always changing their minds, I will think of this.....But, I really, really appreciated it and I know my little girlieys did too! What a man!

I am in the UK and my birds are in their shed in these temps. They are fine out there. I have just posted about 2 of mine that spent last night in the field in the snow cos they won't walk across it to get to the stable and their shed. They are fine today - I need to try and catch them later but have given the food and water where they are for now. The yare showing no ill effects after the coldest night of the year!!
Just take care when you put them back out. Good luck!

Quote:
Your not supposed to have 50 chickens in your basement
hide.gif
I have close to that down there right now sunning themselves by the wood furnace..but they are chicks.My other 150 or so won't all fit down there very well-or I would have them down there.We don't have winters like this year so our pens are all open wire for ventilation and to keep them cool.Having to cover all of them now and still have frost bite on our Med. birds.Right now the wind chill is below 0 and they are outside playing
idunno.gif
My tween chicks are in outside brooders with 250 watt lamps and still have frozen water
Mine are not pets..we will eat them and not our dog
gig.gif
but we do have too much money in them to watch them freeze without a darn good fight.So far we haven't lost one but I'm ready for Spring

Back
Top Bottom