My girls are on 7 eggs- many questions & need many answers!

I have seen many on this post that said once they moved the broody, she went back to the original nest box.

I do this ALL the time with my hens. The trick is to keep them confined for a few days, so they remember where the nest is. What I mean by this is to put them in a cage, or a small pen, that basically has enough room for them to get off the nest to go potty.
Also do not put the food and water next to the nest! The hen needs to get off the nest to go poo, and if she has easy access to the food, she might stay on and poo in the nest.

citychickers: As for the hen tucking the eggs under her when the other leaves the nest, this is normal. They would do that if they were by themselves and the eggs got scooted out.

You could also just take the chicks away as they hatch. They can be re-introduced, but you have to put them under the hen at night, while she is sleeping. Also plan on being up 'before the rooster crows', so you can watch the hen and take away the babies if she doesn't accept them. She can and will kill them if she doesn't take them. I learned this the hard way.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom