My girls are sleeping in their nesting boxes, I know there coop is small. What to do, one is laying already.

Kimmys78

Chirping
Sep 25, 2020
Your eggs look like eggs. Nothing wrong with them. Is there something that is concerning you about them?
It looks like you washed them, I personally don't wash mine, they will last longer, but some people do wash them and other people was them right before using them.
I just wanted to make sure since my girls have slept in the nesting boxes and I have found poop in them as well. I wiped them off with a damp paper towel. I have read not to wash them so I got scared. Lol

black_cat

Free Ranging
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I just wanted to make sure since my girls have slept in the nesting boxes and I have found poop in them as well. I wiped them off with a damp paper towel. I have read not to wash them so I got scared. Lol
Chickens poop most while sleeping. I've had a similar problem-I just go out at night and take them out of the nesting boxes and place them on the roosts. They are easy to pick up while sleepy. Wiping your eggs off does the same thing as washing them-takes off the natural layer of bloom that protects the eggs from bacteria. We've had our own poopy egg issues, and we don't wash ours until use.

NatJ

Crowing
Mar 20, 2017
USA
You can go out at in the evening after dark, lift them out of the nestboxes, and put them on the roosts.

Or you can go out in the morning and clean poop out of the nestboxes.

Or you can wipe poop off the eggs and then cook the eggs.

You can even crack a poopy egg and cook the egg--but do try not to drop actual pieces of poop in the part you're going to eat ;)

I've seen my share of poopy eggs, washed some and not others, and never had a problem. I do tend to cook my eggs until they are hard clear through (no runny yolks). I don't know if that matters or not in a case like this.

21hens-incharge

Slightly nuts
Premium Feather Member
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
All eggs purchased in stores (at least here in America) are washed.
It is a choice on whether or not to wash them.

Once washed they should be kept in the fridge.

I guarantee you I wash my duck eggs and refrigerate.

Top Bottom