My girls are sleeping in their nesting boxes, I know there coop is small. What to do, one is laying already.

Kimmys78

Chirping
Sep 25, 2020
I can't do a extravagant coop right now, my fiance just had back surgery last month. These are the eggs that have been laid do they look ok. I am new to all this. Help!!

Attachments

• 20200929_164158.jpg
    20200929_164158.jpg
    739.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 20200929_191711.jpg
    20200929_191711.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 157
I just wanted to make sure since my girls have slept in the nesting boxes and I have found poop in them as well. I wiped them off with a damp paper towel. I have read not to wash them so I got scared. Lol
Chickens poop most while sleeping. I've had a similar problem-I just go out at night and take them out of the nesting boxes and place them on the roosts. They are easy to pick up while sleepy. Wiping your eggs off does the same thing as washing them-takes off the natural layer of bloom that protects the eggs from bacteria. We've had our own poopy egg issues, and we don't wash ours until use.

You can go out at in the evening after dark, lift them out of the nestboxes, and put them on the roosts.

Or you can go out in the morning and clean poop out of the nestboxes.

Or you can wipe poop off the eggs and then cook the eggs.

You can even crack a poopy egg and cook the egg--but do try not to drop actual pieces of poop in the part you're going to eat ;)

I've seen my share of poopy eggs, washed some and not others, and never had a problem. I do tend to cook my eggs until they are hard clear through (no runny yolks). I don't know if that matters or not in a case like this.

I think they are in there because they don't have enough room for all four of them on the roosts.
Are any roosting? Try moving one or two on the roosts to at least help. Have you considered making the prefab coop+run all into a coop? That would give them more space and you less poopy eggs.

Hmm, I guess I am not sure what you are saying

You have an area with a chainlink fence.

Inside of it, there is a structure that has nestboxes and roosts.

Part of that structure is closed up like a little house.
The other part of that structure has mesh walls (hardware cloth).

Can you put roosts in the part with the mesh walls? That would make more roost space, at least in nice weather.

If you put tarp or plywood over the mesh to block wind and snow, they could sleep there even in winter time.

I think that is what people are trying to suggest.

(If you cover the mesh with something solid, don't cover it all. Leave some open for ventilation.)

You have an area with a chainlink fence.

Inside of it, there is a structure that has nestboxes and roosts.

Part of that structure is closed up like a little house.
The other part of that structure has mesh walls (hardware cloth).

Can you put roosts in the part with the mesh walls? That would make more roost space, at least in nice weather.

If you put tarp or plywood over the mesh to block wind and snow, they could sleep there even in winter time.

I think that is what people are trying to suggest.

(If you cover the mesh with something solid, don't cover it all. Leave some open for ventilation.)
Ahh that is a good idea to put roosts there. We actually just bought a tarp. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom