My girls are sleeping in their nesting boxes, I know there coop is small. What to do, one is laying already.

Are any roosting? Try moving one or two on the roosts to at least help. Have you considered making the prefab coop+run all into a coop? That would give them more space and you less poopy eggs.
Yes some are on the roosts. Yeah we would like to do that with the coop but not sure exactly how

They like to roost at the highest point in coop keep the nesting boxes low on one side of coop and put roosts ( 2x4 or thick branch )on the other side of coop and about a foot or more higher than the nesting boxes and they will want the higher roosts 😀

Hmm, I guess I am not sure what you are saying

You have an area with a chainlink fence.

Inside of it, there is a structure that has nestboxes and roosts.

Part of that structure is closed up like a little house.
The other part of that structure has mesh walls (hardware cloth).

Can you put roosts in the part with the mesh walls? That would make more roost space, at least in nice weather.

If you put tarp or plywood over the mesh to block wind and snow, they could sleep there even in winter time.

I think that is what people are trying to suggest.

(If you cover the mesh with something solid, don't cover it all. Leave some open for ventilation.)

You have an area with a chainlink fence.

Inside of it, there is a structure that has nestboxes and roosts.

Part of that structure is closed up like a little house.
The other part of that structure has mesh walls (hardware cloth).

Can you put roosts in the part with the mesh walls? That would make more roost space, at least in nice weather.

If you put tarp or plywood over the mesh to block wind and snow, they could sleep there even in winter time.

I think that is what people are trying to suggest.

(If you cover the mesh with something solid, don't cover it all. Leave some open for ventilation.)
Ahh that is a good idea to put roosts there. We actually just bought a tarp. Thank you

Just reiterating what some others have mentioned.

So to turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise across the newly open space. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, but I don't know how cold it gets in winter - though you also make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for hot and humid summers.

Back
Top Bottom