My girls put themselves to bed - first time!

I have to brag like a proud mommy too; my three new buff orps (8 weeks old and only with us less than a week) put themselves into the henhouse tonight for the first time!!! I swear, it was like when my son first crawled or something. I couldn't wait to call my folks and say "you'll never guess what the girls did".

Wait until they lay their first eggs! I called my parents at 7a on Thanksgiving morning to tell them. My mom didn't give a rat's patootie.
idunno.gif

I just put my 8 week old girls in the coop last week. I go out before it is even dark (like 7:30) and put the girls up on the roost (some are starting to get there on their own!!). They snuggle right down and don't jump off the roosts!!! When I check on them at dark, they are still on the roosts! Now if they will all just put themselves to bed!!

Good Luck!

Cindy

I just finshed our coop last weekend and we put our 5 week old girls in it. We're letting them free range the back yard. To our suprise on the second day out, the went into the coop on their own at the end of the day. Even more shocking they did it the second day. We've got 7 pullets and they all went in with no chasing involved. It's very satisfying when that happens.
smile.png

We had moved our 8 week old Buckeyes out to a small dog pen a few weeks ago. Their temperary "house" until one of the arks frees up is a dog carrier inside the pen. The first night we had to put them in the carrier for the night but every night after that by dark they have all put themselves away.

My four one-month-old Buff Orps have had a roost in their brooder since they were about 2 weeks old, and they have been sleeping on it for almost that long. I put it in there just so they had something to play on and get used to, and it did the trick! I just moved the brooder from the house into the coop, and even though they can come and go from the brooder cage into the open coop as they choose, they still put themselves back in the brooder and on the roost at night. They even did it when I opened the pop door into the run! I generally go out around 8:30/9, when it's not pitch black, but getting pretty dark. I think the brooder is their security blanket.

My eight week old girls have been in the coop for four weeks and still can't put them selves to bed. I found one in a tree a week a go. It'll be the day when they actually get a hint.

Quote:
lol.png

I have been telling myself that I can share the news with you guys and immediate family only. Everyone else will have to wait until I can casually work the news into the conversation at hand.

You know... so I don't seem all... weird and stuff.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom