My girls put themselves to bed - first time!

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
We were over at a neighbor's house - checking on their chickens - and when we got back, all our girls were awfully quiet. DBF looked in the coop and all 3 standards had put themselves to bed for the very. first. time. They've only been sleeping in the coop for a few days, too.

The bantam cochin, however, put herself to bed on the laundry rack in the house.

I guess the moon was just right last night.

My girls went to bed on their own last night for the first time too.
tongue.png

It was the third night in the big girl coop for them.

Congrats to everyone!!!

I am new mommy to my 5 baby chicks, they are 4 weeks old and just brought them home yesterday! When I put them in the new big coop we built for them they cried and cried at night. I had to keep talking to them and singing to them to get them to settle down to go to sleep. How can I make it easier for them? It breaks my heart to see them cry. Help!!

Mine have been out for a week now and I still have to take them from the run into the coop to go to sleep. WHen I go out to get them, it is dark and they are cuddled together outside in the run.I think my chicks are mentally challenged or something. How long do you think this will last until they go into their coop by themselves? They are not free-range.

Christine

Mrscapt1 do you have a low light bulb in there for them yet? I have 13 week olds, 7 and 3 week olds now and I have just a 25 watt red light bulb in the coop for them and it seems to give them comfort at night. It also helps to guide them in too. Although it did not seem to help with the 3 and 7 weekers until last night. Every night was a struggle to get them in as I would go to slide the door shut on their side and they would all slip out so I would go all the way around to the front and guide them in and then go back around and inside to slide the door shut and watch them all run back outside as I came in. OMG I was running in circles and I could have won a millon dollars on AFV if I had a movie camera. So last night I gave up and refused to go out there until the sun went down and guess what? All and I mean ALL of them were in and roosting and I was able to shut the door on the very first try and no one took a run outside!!!!!!! The 13 week old girls have been putting themselves to bed for weeks and they probably sit there each night and enjoy the show laughing at me, and I know they are laughing cause there is A LOT of cackeling going on in their side of the coop !! Try a 25 watt red light bulb, I get them at Ace and Walmart in the bulb section by the buglight bulbs. They are called party lights I think and they work great. Trudy

They grow up so FAST!

Mine have been out in their new coop for 2 nights and both nights they went up their little chicken ramp and put themselves to bed! Some are sleeping on the roost already, they just turned 6 weeks!

Back
Top Bottom