My girls think I am a roo!

FlockMama

ChickyBawkyChickChick
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Washington State
So when I go to pick up my rir ladies they squat down, stomp there feet, and aim there bum towards the air
wink.png

It doesn't really bother me, it's pretty silly actually, they are nice girls and it's happened since they both started laying there first eggs.

I would love to get a roo but I can't because of neighbors.

Is there anything I can or should do so they won't do this?

My girls continue to do this and always have, since a couple of weeks before laying their first eggs. They are around 9 months old now and if anything the squatting is even more pronounced.

I don't see why you need to stop them doing it. It isn't harming them or you, and it is completely instinctive - they do know really that you're not the roo, but their first instinct when something large looms over their back is to prepare for mating! As soon as my girls look over their shoulders they realise it is me, and they try to run off, but the squat does give me a valuable few seconds to dive in and pick them up. It's actually very handy!

Don't fret over this - it's absolutely natural behaviour.
smile.png

Give them a vigorous back rub. It's good to be able to handle them AND it'll satisfy their instinct to squat. They'll shake it off and go along their way.

Quote:
That's what we do. Now when they squat for us, they point their tails down (clearly not helpful if we were roos!) and spread their wings out a little so that we can pet their backs. We haven't had a tail up when squatting since sometime last year. They still get their instinct to squat, but have learned that it means they can get pet or picked up (they have never been around a mature roo).
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom