My Girls won't come out of the Hen House

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Summer Rose, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Summer Rose

Summer Rose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2012
    Hi, Ummm perhaps I shouldn't be feeding them in the Coup? I have their food, water and hanging Greens in their
    coup. I leave the door open all day and they only come out every now and then and only four or five feet from the
    door. Am I treating them to good? I wanted to have free range eggs, lots of peeps are waiting for me to put them
    out for sale. This is nuts LOL My hens are actually Pullets, between 4mos. & 8 mos. old. Anyone else run into this
    problem, help is appreciated.

2. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I keep food and water in my coop but they must come out to get their treats. They were timid at first but now they come charging out as soon as I open the pop door for their goodies. It is like a little parade down the ramp with the impatient ones flying down instead of waiting their turn. Try luring the with a treat and move further from the coop each time.

3. Summer Rose

Jul 29, 2012
    Okay, thanks...will I then be complaining I can't find them? LOL LOL

4. Whiber02

Whiber02 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2012
    Indiana
    I have an Idea, Are they lying eggs yet? if they are, I know the problem....my Hens dont come out of the coop because they like to sit on the eggs (they think there going to hatch[​IMG])
    I really hope this helps,

5. Summer Rose

Jul 29, 2012
    I wish, nope they are not laying yet. I am looking for the eggs every morning though! Thanks

6. Summer Rose

Jul 29, 2012
    Hi, Guess it was their age as to why they would not come out of the Coup...they come out and go all over the place now
    They also come up to me for treats and follow me when they think that I have them![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by