My girls won't leave their coop

sbabeyta

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Arvada, Colorado
My girls, year and a half old Black Stars, have not left the coop for a few days. I open their run and they normally can't wait to get out in the morning. We live in Colorado and have some cold weather lately (in the teens at night) but normally they come out in any weather. They seem to be eating and drinking OK; they're not laying right now because one of them was molting and the other one doesn't lay then either. Any thoughts on this?

My girls, year and a half old Black Stars, have not left the coop for a few days. I open their run and they normally can't wait to get out in the morning. We live in Colorado and have some cold weather lately (in the teens at night) but normally they come out in any weather. They seem to be eating and drinking OK; they're not laying right now because one of them was molting and the other one doesn't lay then either. Any thoughts on this?
Has there been any changes in the vicinity of the run? Chickens can be quite fearful of anything new. If you've had any troubles with predators that might be a possibility. New sounds can cause fearfulness too.

It could be the weather or predators, but I would consider worming them just in case. You might as well now, since they're not laying anyway. I use Valbazen 2x 10 days apart (discarding eggs for 10 days after that).

Last edited:
Most likely they could have experienced a predator scare that you are unaware of.
Keep an eye out for any signs of illness, but they should be back out within a week.

Most likely they could have experienced a predator scare that you are unaware of.
Keep an eye out for any signs of illness, but they should be back out within a week.

Ditto what aart said. A predator scare (or attack) is the only thing that keeps my birds in the coop. Chickens are very adaptable to cold, so that would not affect them going outside.

Thanks for the feedback. It may be our new puppy--he really wants to play with them but, as you might imagine, they're not as enthusiastic about him :) They've been coming out now, so all seems well.

Back
Top Bottom