My goats and chickens don’t get along...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Puffles, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Puffles

Puffles Chirping

Sep 11, 2018
    Florida
    Lately, my small farm has been a mess since I came back from the hospital... courtesy to my friend, @AnimalGeek23 for taking care of my farm.
    However, when I’m not there, things are different.

When I got back I was warmly greeted by my poultry and goats and horses. I thought everything was fine until a few days ago, my Nigerian dwarf started bucking and kicking at my poor old leghorn hen. This has never happened before, they had been with me and together for 3 years and nothing has ever happened. Something is wrong between the two. My leghorn is acting very legarthic lately, and I think it’s the stress that Folly is giving her.
    We try our best to split them up, but Folly would go out her way and try her hardest to get to my hen. I’ve never seen anything like this! :hmm :confused: :barnie My goat’s giving me a hard time here! Anyone suggest I do something?

AnimalGeek23 and The Phantom like this.
  2. ShannonR

ShannonR Songster

Sep 17, 2015
    northern California
    Is your leghorn ill from another cause? It's possible the goat is sensing some kind of sickness

Puffles and AnimalGeek23 like this.
  3. SniperGoose

SniperGoose Songster

Apr 15, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    I'd say that goat sensed something off with her before anyone else did. Some animals will tend to pick on sick/weak animals if they notice it. Could you possibly separate your hen for a while to give her some time to rest and recover? Then when she gets better, perhaps the goat wouldn't give her any problems.

4. AnimalGeek23

AnimalGeek23 Crowing

Apr 10, 2018
    New York State
    Didn’t notice anything strange about you hen when I was there :confused:
    Folly was acting a bit strange... she nipped a lot. And by a lot I mean more than usual. She also started bugging the horses a bit but stopped.
    She’s such a weird goat.

Puffles and ShannonR like this.
  5. ShannonR

ShannonR Songster

Sep 17, 2015
    northern California
    It's breeding season for goats... dunno if that has anything to do with the unrest, though.

6. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    Is the goat male or female? If it was just once I would think much of it but if she’s going out of her way my thought is she may be sensed something wrong with the chickens. Goats in general are odd. And being breeding season could have something to do with it for sure

Puffles, AnimalGeek23 and ShannonR like this.
  7. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    Do you think chickens and goats have separate areas

8. AnimalGeek23

AnimalGeek23 Crowing

Apr 10, 2018
    New York State
    Oh yeah, I forgot... it’s probably because it’s breeding season. The goat is female....

Puffles, ShannonR and chickens really like this.
  9. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    Female goats ( along with many female animal) can be very.... umm... emotional. Just like the males can be..... aggressive maybe you could call it. During breeding season and hormones are in high gear. Maybe what’s going on I think. Is there a way you could keep them separate temporarily. I know it sucks but I’m thinking once hormones levels chill and maybe the goat will forget about his get the chicken mission if they got along before

Puffles, AnimalGeek23 and ShannonR like this.
  10. ShannonR

ShannonR Songster

Sep 17, 2015
    northern California
    Maybe your goat needs a date

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: