My goats and chickens don’t get along...

Puffles

Chirping
Sep 11, 2018
Florida
Lately, my small farm has been a mess since I came back from the hospital... courtesy to my friend, @AnimalGeek23 for taking care of my farm.
However, when I’m not there, things are different.

When I got back I was warmly greeted by my poultry and goats and horses. I thought everything was fine until a few days ago, my Nigerian dwarf started bucking and kicking at my poor old leghorn hen. This has never happened before, they had been with me and together for 3 years and nothing has ever happened. Something is wrong between the two. My leghorn is acting very legarthic lately, and I think it’s the stress that Folly is giving her.
We try our best to split them up, but Folly would go out her way and try her hardest to get to my hen. I’ve never seen anything like this! :hmm :confused: :barnie My goat’s giving me a hard time here! Anyone suggest I do something?

I'd say that goat sensed something off with her before anyone else did. Some animals will tend to pick on sick/weak animals if they notice it. Could you possibly separate your hen for a while to give her some time to rest and recover? Then when she gets better, perhaps the goat wouldn't give her any problems.

Lately, my small farm has been a mess since I came back from the hospital... courtesy to my friend, @AnimalGeek23 for taking care of my farm.
However, when I’m not there, things are different.

When I got back I was warmly greeted by my poultry and goats and horses. I thought everything was fine until a few days ago, my Nigerian dwarf started bucking and kicking at my poor old leghorn hen. This has never happened before, they had been with me and together for 3 years and nothing has ever happened. Something is wrong between the two. My leghorn is acting very legarthic lately, and I think it’s the stress that Folly is giving her.
We try our best to split them up, but Folly would go out her way and try her hardest to get to my hen. I’ve never seen anything like this! :hmm :confused: :barnie My goat’s giving me a hard time here! Anyone suggest I do something?
Didn’t notice anything strange about you hen when I was there :confused:
Folly was acting a bit strange... she nipped a lot. And by a lot I mean more than usual. She also started bugging the horses a bit but stopped.
She’s such a weird goat.

Didn’t notice anything strange about you hen when I was there :confused:
Folly was acting a bit strange... she nipped a lot. And by a lot I mean more than usual. She also started bugging the horses a bit but stopped.
She’s such a weird goat.
It's breeding season for goats... dunno if that has anything to do with the unrest, though.

Is the goat male or female? If it was just once I would think much of it but if she’s going out of her way my thought is she may be sensed something wrong with the chickens. Goats in general are odd. And being breeding season could have something to do with it for sure

Female goats ( along with many female animal) can be very.... umm... emotional. Just like the males can be..... aggressive maybe you could call it. During breeding season and hormones are in high gear. Maybe what’s going on I think. Is there a way you could keep them separate temporarily. I know it sucks but I’m thinking once hormones levels chill and maybe the goat will forget about his get the chicken mission if they got along before

Back
Top Bottom