My Golden Cascade Ducks

Out in the duck pen again.

Here's the video I promised yesterday:

[VIDEO]

I spoke to Millie Holderread last night and she said that since Henry is used to eating pellets/crumbles, he probably doesn't realize that the cracked-type feed my girls have been thriving on is actually food! So I called Tractor Supply to confirm that they had Purina Organic Start and Grow (the Organic version of Flock Raisef), and made the 30 minute drive there only to find that they were closed!!!!! Fortunately the helpful guy who I had talked to on the phone was still there and let me buy a bag for poor Henry. I was especially glad that I brought a bag of duck eggs for the man to thank him. (Not sure what he thought of the eggs - I think I may have weirded him out ... :rolleyes: )

Henry did eat some of the new mealworms but hasn't touched his crumbles that I went to such trouble to get for him. (looks sternly at Henry.)

Right now he and the girls at are just hanging out together, everyone being very polite, lots of happy/pleasant vocalizing.

Out in the duck pen again.

Here's the video I promised yesterday:

I spoke to Millie Holderread last night and she said that since Henry is used to eating pellets/crumbles, he probably doesn't realize that the cracked-type feed my girls have been thriving on is actually food! So I called Tractor Supply to confirm that they had Purina Organic Start and Grow (the Organic version of Flock Raisef), and made the 30 minute drive there only to find that they were closed!!!!! Fortunately the helpful guy who I had talked to on the phone was still there and let me buy a bag for poor Henry. I was especially glad that I brought a bag of duck eggs for the man to thank him. (Not sure what he thought of the eggs - I think I may have weirded him out ...
roll.png
)

Henry did eat some of the new mealworms but hasn't touched his crumbles that I went to such trouble to get for him. (looks sternly at Henry.)

Right now he and the girls at are just hanging out together, everyone being very polite, lots of happy/pleasant vocalizing.
love.gif

Yesterday, I decided to let Henry run around with the girls in our backyard. My husband was outside re-stapling part of the bird netting that had come loose, so that meant I would have help herding them all back into the pen if Henry didn't go back in with the other ducks. He seemed a little lost at first but very quickly started running all over and dabbling in the mud along with them.

When we went to put them back in their pen, he went right in but Welshie and one of the Buffs didn't want to - maybe they weren't done playing yet? We even let Henry stay unsupervised in the pen with the girls for about an hour before putting everyone to bed in the separate houses. The Buff with the hurt foot has tried to sleep in Henry's house the past few nights - I wonder if it's because his house is directly on the ground with no ramp?

Very happy with how everyone is doing and I'm thinking about letting Henry sleep in the big house with the girls tonight - thoughts?

[VIDEO]

Here's a pic I just took of my Welshie. I'm hanging out with ducks right now.
smile.png
She's from Meyers. We originally had 2 but one had some genetic problems and died when she was only 4 months old.

Wouldn't surprise me if she wasn't 100% WH.
Just a thought.....maybe she is a Silver Appleyard instead? She looks very like what my Rey used to and Rey had a yellow bill whereas I believe the WH have dark ones but very similar coloring. Just a possibility, we originally thought Rey was WH too.

Just a thought.....maybe she is a Silver Appleyard instead? She looks very like what my Rey used to and Rey had a yellow bill whereas I believe the WH have dark ones but very similar coloring. Just a possibility, we originally thought Rey was WH too. 

Since both you and @ViolinPlayer123 have both mentioned that she looks more like a Silver Appleyard, I googled images of SA females and you are right - she looks exactly like a SA! I bought all my girls as day-old sexed ducklings from Meyers and they don't carry SA, so this is very strange. I may be giving them a call ...

Edited: not going to bother calling Meyers. If I expected a perfect show quality Breed Standard WH, I should have ordered from someone like Holderread, right? She looked like a WH as a duckling and she doesn't quite look like either a WH or a SA. But she's pretty, healthy, forages well, and is a great egg layer so I'm just going to love her for the unique lil darlin' that she is. :)

Last edited:

Since both you and @ViolinPlayer123 have both mentioned that she looks more like a Silver Appleyard, I googled images of SA females and you are right - she looks exactly like a SA! I bought all my girls as day-old sexed ducklings from Meyers and they don't carry SA, so this is very strange. I may be giving them a call ...

Edited: not going to bother calling Meyers. If I expected a perfect show quality Breed Standard WH, I should have ordered from someone like Holderread, right? She looked like a WH as a duckling and she doesn't quite look like either a WH or a SA. But she's pretty, healthy, forages well, and is a great egg layer so I'm just going to love her for the unique lil darlin' that she is.

You are exactly right. She is a welsh harlequin just not quite show quality!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom