My Golden Cascade Ducks

Krazyquilts

Songster
Aug 2, 2016
Geneva, Ohio (northeast of Cleveland)
I would like to introduce you to Handsome Henry the Golden Cascade drake!

Henry was born in 2016 and and is a show quality Golden Cascade drake purchased from the Holderread Farm for my birthday. He is of the "Rich Bronze" coloration (as opposed to "Satin Green").
He arrived yesterday morning. Two Golden Cascade females will be joining him next week. :celebrate

If you want to read more about Henry, I wrote a blog post about him on my blog Mutual Weirdness Farm which includes more pics and a video.

If you want even more pics, here's the Google drive folder of the whole photo shoot my husband did of Henry last night.

Out in the duck pen again.

Here's the video I promised yesterday:

[VIDEO]

I spoke to Millie Holderread last night and she said that since Henry is used to eating pellets/crumbles, he probably doesn't realize that the cracked-type feed my girls have been thriving on is actually food! So I called Tractor Supply to confirm that they had Purina Organic Start and Grow (the Organic version of Flock Raisef), and made the 30 minute drive there only to find that they were closed!!!!! Fortunately the helpful guy who I had talked to on the phone was still there and let me buy a bag for poor Henry. I was especially glad that I brought a bag of duck eggs for the man to thank him. (Not sure what he thought of the eggs - I think I may have weirded him out ... :rolleyes: )

Henry did eat some of the new mealworms but hasn't touched his crumbles that I went to such trouble to get for him. (looks sternly at Henry.)

Right now he and the girls at are just hanging out together, everyone being very polite, lots of happy/pleasant vocalizing.

Funny you should mention this, because I ordered all of my ducks through Metzer and got one WH, and it died at 8 weeks for no reason as well. My vet even did an exploratory for me and couldn't find anything wrong. I made another order, this time with one more WH, and she came with a pigeon foot. She gets around fine now, but she also has breathing struggles and random episodes where she gasps for air for a few hours and then it stops. She also can't quack normal and always makes some sort of raspy squeeking noise. And all of my other ducks I got from them have been really healthy and beautiful. It makes me wonder who has good Harlequin stock around because the breed seems to have genetic issues. I love them too, but I'm curious show inbred they were to produce the color. I'm scared to get another.

By the way, Henry is absolutely stunning. I've never seen a duck with that coloring before!

Henry is truly handsome. I've never seen anything like his coloring either! I can't wait to see what coloring/patterns any ducklings he and my girls might produce. I'm really looking forward to breeding him to some Golden Cascade females too, though I'm trying to be patient. I very much want to breed rare breed ducks and since there is so little information about the Golden Cascade breed even though they are such a great breed from everything I've read.

Regarding getting good Welsh Harlequin stock, I agree with @ViolinPlayer123. Holderread's, all the way. When we have our farm, I hope to buy some WH from the Holderread's.

Haven't been on in a while - super busy while we are working on buying our farm - but I wanted to post that Henry has been "doing his job" and first one of the Buffs helpfully went broody then Welshie decided to share a nest with her and now their are baby ducklings hatching!!!!!

I'll post pics as soon as Welshie gets up. Which right now is looking like it's never going to happen lol.

Yeah. Definitely not breed standard.
1f615.png
When we have our farm, I want to breed rare breed ducks but Welshie won't be a part of any WH breeding program because of that. She's still pretty though and she's been laying an egg a day for a month straight! I still am in awe over duck eggs!

Back
Top Bottom