My Golden Cascade Ducks

Henry was shipped with a female but unfortunately she died. Just to be on the safe side, I had her autopsied and the results were inconclusive - sometimes it's just too stressful for adult ducks to be shipped, you know? Especially since she was also laying. So, the Holderread's are going to sending a replacement female, but the Holderread's and I have decided to wait until fall to ship her because now that their ducks have started laying, we are all concerned about it being too much stress on their systems. I keep hoping really hard that maybe we'll be on our farm by then and I could order additional adults.
fl.gif

And technically, Henry was the only duck I really needed because without him, there won't be any ducklings.
wink.png

Thanks!

Here's a pic I just took of my Welshie. I'm hanging out with ducks right now.
smile.png
She's from Meyers. We originally had 2 but one had some genetic problems and died when she was only 4 months old.

Wouldn't surprise me if she wasn't 100% WH.
Funny you should mention this, because I ordered all of my ducks through Metzer and got one WH, and it died at 8 weeks for no reason as well. My vet even did an exploratory for me and couldn't find anything wrong. I made another order, this time with one more WH, and she came with a pigeon foot. She gets around fine now, but she also has breathing struggles and random episodes where she gasps for air for a few hours and then it stops. She also can't quack normal and always makes some sort of raspy squeeking noise. And all of my other ducks I got from them have been really healthy and beautiful. It makes me wonder who has good Harlequin stock around because the breed seems to have genetic issues. I love them too, but I'm curious show inbred they were to produce the color. I'm scared to get another.

By the way, Henry is absolutely stunning. I've never seen a duck with that coloring before!

Last edited:
Funny you should mention this, because I ordered all of my ducks through Metzer and got one WH, and it died at 8 weeks for no reason as well. My vet even did an exploratory for me and couldn't find anything wrong. I made another order, this time with one more WH, and she came with a pigeon foot. She gets around fine now, but she also has breathing struggles and random episodes where she gasps for air for a few hours and then it stops. She also can't quack normal and always makes some sort of raspy squeeking noise. And all of my other ducks I got from them have been really healthy and beautiful. It makes me wonder who has good Harlequin stock around because the breed seems to have genetic issues. I love them too, but I'm curious show inbred they were to produce the color. I'm scared to get another.

By the way, Henry is absolutely stunning. I've never seen a duck with that coloring before!

Henry is truly handsome. I've never seen anything like his coloring either! I can't wait to see what coloring/patterns any ducklings he and my girls might produce. I'm really looking forward to breeding him to some Golden Cascade females too, though I'm trying to be patient. I very much want to breed rare breed ducks and since there is so little information about the Golden Cascade breed even though they are such a great breed from everything I've read.

Regarding getting good Welsh Harlequin stock, I agree with @ViolinPlayer123. Holderread's, all the way. When we have our farm, I hope to buy some WH from the Holderread's.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread! I recently acquired a Mallard(or Rouen) duckling because the old owner had picked it up for a friend then the friend decided that she didn't want it. So I have my first duck and need a buddy for it, after some looking I am hoping to pick up two Cascade ducklings and two Welsh Harlequin ducklings from someone in my area. Henry is beautiful! I had never heard of these guys before but I'm glad I know about them now!

Haven't been on in a while - super busy while we are working on buying our farm - but I wanted to post that Henry has been "doing his job" and first one of the Buffs helpfully went broody then Welshie decided to share a nest with her and now their are baby ducklings hatching!!!!!

I'll post pics as soon as Welshie gets up. Which right now is looking like it's never going to happen lol.

Back
Top Bottom