My Good Girls... Pics of My Aging Flock

They are all gorgeous! I love how you described each and every one of them, now that's love!
thumbsup.gif

Love them all, I certainly do, thank you. Fern is not feeling well at all. She is usually a jumpy ball of energy, but just now, I put them inside for the night and she just walked under the roost and stood there looking subdued while everyone was milling around and eating. Her usual M.O. is to stop laying for two weeks during the worst of her molt, then start back up again, but since she's passed four years of age, it's taken more out of her than I've ever seen. "Fern = Lethargic" just does not compute.

I checked and Fern just turned 4 yrs old the beginning of June or last of May this year, so she's just now turned 4. Hope she is her regular self soon.

Last edited:
Updating this thread because today, two more old ladies went to the Retirement Coop. My 5 1/2 yr old Ameraucanas, Snow and Nora, have been having issues with what I believe is arthritis in their joints as well as the young stud muffins I added to the main flock.

Today, Snow flared up and got in Rex's face, he fled; then she got into Ira's face, and he fled. Indy, HUGE Indy, who is fast making his way to the top of the heap as his sire's replacement (he's fully as large now, though not quite as heavy), was the only one that did not run. In fact, Snow was running from Indy and when he got her splash feathers in his beak and I scooped her up, hearing her heavy breathing, knowing she'd never submit to him, I decided it was time for them to go to the Old Hens' Coop. They know them all, just haven't been with them in the same group in quite some time.

Here are Snow and Nora in their new home; well, not really new since they've lived there with one group or another at some time in the past.

And their coop mates who will give them a hard time, for sure, as usual when newbies are put in there. Caroline thinks she rules the world and is very protective of Amanda, who herself is no slouch when it comes to dealing out harsh punishment, in spite of the fact she can barely walk herself. By the way, Fern, Becca and Amanda are all laying currently. Amazing for old women.

My old ladies are kicking butt when it comes to laying eggs. The main flock of about 17 hens are putting out 0-3 eggs daily. The old ladies? Every one in there except Caroline is laying! Tough old broads, they are. I got 5 eggs out of the retirement coop yesterday.

I didn't include Panda in those numbers of laying hens in the retirement coop, but I've just added my 5 1/2 yr old BR x blue Ameraucana hen permanently to the that coop. This last molt almost killed her. She is a walking skeleton and no way she needs rooster attention so she has earned a rest from all that.

Caroline is having serious crop issues. It is pendulous, souring/bloaty regularly. This may be the beginning of her final system shutdown, though I really hope not. Caroline is my last hatchery hen and will turn 7 in January, but it's been a year and a half since her last egg.

Back
Top Bottom