My Good Girls... Pics of My Aging Flock

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Not all of them were photographed, but I keep thinking I need to take pictures because some will be gone by the end of this year, I'm betting. Most are well over 3 years old with a large number 4 to going on 7 years old now. They've served us well with eggs, entertainment and affection. We've enjoyed them all (well, maybe not Tiny the Terrorist so much, lol).

Tiny has been broody for 6 weeks in spite of all our efforts to break her and efforts by the rest of the hens to snap her out of it (some really would like to snap her neck by the looks of it) She is our semi-sight impaired, came-from-a-blue-egg- out of a BBS Ameraucana flock with some obvious Sumatra illicit breeding in the lineage somewhere way back. Cannot give her eggs. She's aggressive on a good day. The broody version is a nightmare. As you can see, both redheaded Rita and EE, June, tried to get her out of the nest this morning.

Rita and EE, Maretta. Both just finished raising babies. Maretta is 2 years old and Rita is 3. Both first time moms.

Almost 6 year old Gypsy, my lovebug and my late crippled rooster, Zane's, best friend.

Old arthritic Amanda, who was 6 in March and is currently laying. Good old girl and bossy as heck still.

My last hatchery hen, my Buff Brahma, Caroline, going on 7 years old now and really showing her age. Hasn't laid in over a year, but she is the Queen of any flock she is in, period. She is the only one who can boss Amanda.

Wonky-combed little Barbara, who is very small bodied and lives with the old ladies since Isaac, my Delaware rooster, doesn't like her (or any of the hatchery descended BR hens) Three year old Barbara is the smallest standard hen I have next to Tiny and lays a super jumbo egg.

Wynette, one of my two year old Stukel line BR hens; huge hen and a sweetheart.

Alice, one of my 3 yr old Blue Rocks.

Fern, daughter of one of my original hatchery BR hens, Ivy, and lives with the old ladies because Isaac loathes her for some reason. She's 4 years old, excellent layer.

Snow, my 5 year old splash Ameraucana hen. What a love!

Gloria Jean, splash Rock, named for a lovely BYC friend of mine.

Georgie, who is 4 1/2 yrs old now, as are her sister, Ellie, and Isaac himself.

My Mille Fleur and Porcelain Belgian D'Anvers-the originals are over 2 years old so not elderly yet.

Last edited:
Love the pics
love.gif

Great looking girls, Cyn. Thanks for sharing! And my goodness, is Tiny stubborn or what? That girl knows how to push her luck.

Thanks. I love them all, but have a super soft spot for a few of them, especially old Amanda, walking like she is on tree branches, laying on her side to take pressure off her arthritic legs. She is such a great old lady.

Sorry, LH, Becca wasn't available for photographs yesterday. She was just not there when the camera came out for some reason. I also didn't show Suede's old girls. BUT, I did forget the photo I took of little Xander, the big Orps' new man. He's obviously a youngster, but he is watching over those elderly ladies for me every day and I love his full bodied crow for such a pipsqueak of a guy.

He is such a good little man...told ya he'd take care of the old gals. The cochin personality is so sweet and docile ... just had a feeling he'd be good without being a nuisance to them.

Gotta get pics of Becca...the massages put her in the zone. LOL

Haha, you should hire out for your specialty chicken massages. Becca started up laying again as soon as you left.
lol.png

Forgot to mention that my EE, June, is over 5 years old and Becca was raised in the brooder with Amanda, so also over 6 years of age, and is her half sister, out of a McMurray flock a friend of mine used to own. This same friend who gave me the hatching eggs gave me June herself as a gift, the only started bird I've ever accepted from anyone (she was in quarantine for 8 weeks) and is a real treasure. She is the head hen in the main flock and Isaac's favorite.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom