My goose is hurt. HELP

lesmom

Hatching
Feb 15, 2017
We have a brown Chinese goose? She/he was sitting outside this morning which is highly unusual. When I went to Terri it was like she didn't want to move. When I got close enough she did move and her right foot was very limp and she can't move it. We put her back in the barn and now it's hard like dead hard. No blood on her, she doesn't squawk out in pain when we touch it.... what do I do?

It could be bruised or it could be broken if it moves in a way it shouldn't or has a lot of bruising or you can feel crackling when you move the foot or put a little pressure to the bone, it's broken. If it is in fact broken try splinting it. Birds heal very fast I used to volunteer for wildlife rescue and saw a duck come in with a leg so badly broken it was like jelly, the foot could turn a whole 360, I vouched for the bird to be splinted and sure enough after two weeks they took the splint off and it was good as new. They used kind of a craft wire mesh to bend into the brace with cotton on the inside then wrapped with vet wrap to hold it in place. (Watch to make sure it is tight enough to stay on but not too tight that it cuts off circulation to the toes. Put the bird under a blanket while you do this it should calm them down. You can also fit a sock over their head to mostly the same effect. If they can't see they are calmer and easier to handle.
Good luck hope this helps, please keep us posted on how she does :)

Back
Top Bottom