My goose is ill

rainy day ducks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Southeast Alaska
My 18 week old American Blue goose is ill. I think she may have been eating the layer pellets I give to my ducks. I am pretty sure it is a deficiency of some sort. A few days ago I noticed her wings had slipped. Just yesterday I noticed she would not leave the goose house to eat in the morning. I had to pick her up and carry her outside. By mid morning she was walking around grazing. But she wouldn't move when it came time to close them up for the night. I had to manually put her in. This morning, same thing. She couldn't pick herself up. She tried but couldn't manage. I carried her out once more. By midmorning, she was still not moving. I carried her out of them pen to some water and grass. She seemed dehydrated. I isolated her and have been making sure she can get to the water and food. I also taped her wings up. She moves herself with her beak. It is so sad! Her feathers seem all ragged and is seems she has not been preening herself. I feel just awful! I don't think it is botulism or poisoning. I don't spray any pesticides on my property. I also know I have no noxious weeds. I will mix a little molasses with her water in case of poisoning.

Anyone else have something like this happen? This is my first year with geese. Although I have been researching in the American and British books, I lack the experience that other have out there. I will be extremely grateful for any insights!

Hi

Sorry to hear about your gosling. I think perhaps the following;

1. Heat Stroke (what have your temperatures been like?)

2. Dehydration

3. Botulism (has any local water become stagnant in the summer weather?)

4. Excess protein in feed.

Treatment in all cases will be to keep her comfortable and offer fresh water frequently to hydrate and flush any toxins from the body.

Best of luck to you.

Pete
wink.png

I live in a very mild climate. Our temps are in the 50 to mid 60's. There is very little stagnant water on the property due to the heavy rains we continually get (I live in a temperate rainforest). But, I guess it is a possibility. Thanks for all your sugestions. At least she is eating and drinking when it is right in front of her.

What kind of feed are you using -- brand, type, CP%? Have you recently opened a new bag? Is that the only feed they have access to or do they graze as well? If they do graze how much access do they get?

Thanks for all the questions. So far she seems to be regaining energy day by day. I have spoken with a vet and it seems that she must have eaten something somewhere on the ground. I don't have any lead or zinc around but her symptoms were similar to those poisonings.

I feed the laying ducks chicken layer pellets. The non laying ducks and geese get a mix of gamebird developer, poultry developer, corn, barley, oats, and alfalfa. I mix it so the protein levels are at 16%. They also get diluted vitamins and electrolytes mixed in the water once every two weeks. Since they are waterfowl I use half the dosage that is in the directions. All the feed comes from DeYoungs outside of Seattle. That is the only supplier I have ever used. The poultry feed (both layer and developer) is non-medicated. I have not opened any new bags. This is the first problem I have encountered with poultry. I did have a slipped wing once but fixed it by cutting down the gamebird feed and supplying more grains and alfafa. It was fixed in two weeks without wrapping.

This morning Stella, the ill goose, was able to lift herself up more for a longer period of time. Sometimes she hears the other waterfowl and tries to get up to join them. She has the will which is a plus. Hopefully she will continue to gain energy and recover.

Thanks for all yor questions and concerns helping me figure out how to help her recover!

Quote:
This is about a chicken but if you think she may have eaten something that posioned her you might try the molasses flush it will help remove what ever it is from her system ..Molasses Flush for chicken that has been poisened.-From Miss Prissy

Molasses flush is 1 pint molasses per 5 gallons water given over a period of 8 hours withhold all other food or water.
The break down is -
(1 PINT = 2 CUPS)
2 cups to 5 gallons water
1 cup to 2.5 gallons of water
1/2 cup to 1.25 gallons of water
1/4 cup to 2 quarts water
4 tablespoons to 1 quart water
The molasses acts as a laxative by pulling water into the intestines and flushing it out.
I would mix it by the quart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought she was going to make a recovery yesterday because she was soing so well last night. This morning I went to see her and she couldn't lift her head much. She died within 10 minutes right in front of me. I am heart broken!

Hi there.

So sorry to hear this after you tried so hard to turn around her recovery.

What can I possibly say to ease your hurting except to say be kind to yourself.

Kind wishes

Pete
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom