My gorgeous girls - beautiful brown hens!

Metanoia

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
South Australia
My girls had their first free range time in the garden last weekend and absolutely loved it.

I spent hours watching them and taking photos.
They spent hours dirt bathing in the garden and exploring the world outside their pen.

3780105510_ac008b357c.jpg

3779295041_d80b69ab0a.jpg

3779289609_f4aa6690a4.jpg

3742155878_89268a5d80.jpg

And this one gives you an idea of their home when there is noone around to supervise. They have run of the fenced area during the day with a bit of dirt to scratch in and grain that we put out for them

3664564018_dd5f67f0d8.jpg

Thankyou very much everyone.

The dish shot was a fun one to take. I wish I had a faster camera because as I took a shot the camera would make a noise and they would all look up in unison. I wish I could have got a shot of that as well. They were eating pollard as a treat. They love that stuff!

They were eating pollard as a treat. They love that stuff!

I'm just curious. What is Pollard? Is it a grain that we here in the United States might know by another name? I'm always looking for new things for my girls to eat you see?

Your girls look as though they really enjoyed their day. Isn't it always so delightful when you can do something to make them as happy as they make you!?
big_smile.png

Quote:
It is a grain product like bran, but I think it is finer still. Do you have bran?

Bran and pollard are the by-products of wheat flour milling from different parts of the wheat grain. I believe you may also be able to get rice pollard as well.

I think you might be able to find it if you go to a place that sells livestock supplies. The only reference i can find online is in relation to feeding horses.

Basically you prepare it the same as if feeding a horse. You mix in water slowly until the pollard clumps together and takes on a more mushy cereal appearance. If they have trouble eating it you can make it a bit wetter. It must be mixed with water because it is quite fine, and this is a treat food, not an every day food. The water helps with eating and digestion.

The reason why I have some is my mum also keeps chickens and she accidentally ended up with 2 or 3 which were de-beaked before they got to her. They were having trouble free ranging, so she was supplimenting their food with pollard as it was easy for them to eat... and all her chickens went mad for it! Must taste pretty good!

If I remember this weekend I will see if I can get a photo of what pollard is and post it up for you.

Back
Top Bottom