My Grandfather " Bubba " asked me a Math ?, Can YOU help

yankeedoodle300

Songster
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Chicken Heaven
" Bubba " Is like a total geinus, And is good friends with Bill Gates.

He Ask me the Question : There is a 100 Foot Centimeter Sphere with a Pipe running around it. When the Pipers come to conect the Pipe to the other ends, It is ten feet to long. How high do the risers have to be on the pipe to make ends meet?????

My Genius Uncle Gary Came up with " One and A Half Feet " , But thats not the answer, Acording to " Bubba " .

HELP ME!

Hmmmmm....... tricky.....
hmm.png

Quote:
Restate the question. Is that 100 foot/centimeters the diameter of the Sphere, the circumference, or the radius? And if the Piper-fitters find the pipe ten feet too long they field engineer it by cutting it to size. What are the risers?
You're using two different measurement units and improper Pipe-fitter terms, can't be answered with the available data.

Quote:
Restate the question. Is that 100 foot/centimeters the diameter of the Sphere, the circumference, or the radius? And if the Piper-fitters find the pipe ten feet too long they field engineer it by cutting it to size. What are the risers?
You're using two different measurement units and improper Pipe-fitter terms, can't be answered with the available data.

The Circumfrence is 100 Feet AND i just said " Pipers " To make it a Practical term...... JUST ANSWER ME

Quote:

The Circumfrence is 100 Feet AND i just said " Pipers " To make it a Practical term...... JUST ANSWER ME

10 feet...

Quote:

Its very hard to properly answer a math question when different units of measurement are used and the person asking the question has no idea what it means.

Quote:

That was rude ..

Quote:
circumference=(pi) * diameter
100 = (pi)d and 110 = (pi) * (d+x)
so 110 = (pi)d + (pi)x
110 = 100 + (pi)x
10 = (pi)x
10/(pi) = x
3.18181818... = x,

x/2 = 1.59 ft approx so yeah, 1 1/2 feet is a pretty good estimate.....I guess you could figure in the diameter of the pipe, but since it is not given, must be considered negligible.

So if 1 1/2 feet is not the answer, what is the catch?

Back
Top Bottom