My Guinea, Chicken

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by yoie, May 10, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

I just wanted to post a pics of my French Guinea named Chicken. She is named Chicken because she thinks she is a chicken! She was raised with a group of little bantams and her best buddy is a little modern game bantam, they are just too funny together [​IMG] I also wanted to know if it was normal for a guinea to be quieter being raised with chickens instead of other guineas? She only makes noise if there is something worth yelling about, crows flying over or a squirrel in the yard; otherwise she is a pretty quiet guinea. Also I say she, but not really sure just hopeful that it is a girl [​IMG] Well as promised here is Chicken the guinea!

Chicken on guard

Chicken hanging out with her bantam buddy
  2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Cute lil baby [​IMG]

If it is indeed a she... you should hear her buck-wheating, eventually. I see it still has feathers on it's head, so it's pretty young still. My females start at around 6 weeks, some can start as early as 4 weeks, and some may go a year without letting you know they are females, lol. Before 6 weeks old that they are all pretty quiet tho, so age plays a role in the noise factor, but since it is in with chickens and they don't sound the alarm, that Guinea may continue to be a pretty quiet bird. Males are pretty quiet, other than some peeping and of course the alarm call. You could try separating it for a little while (out of sight of the chickens, but within hearing distance) and if it is a female you should hear her buck-wheating to them.
  3. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado

That's very sweet. My guineas think they are chickens also. It helps that 3 of the 4 are girls. Boy guineas tend to be a bit more aggressive in my experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by