My Guineas and bouts with predators & road

cgmccary

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 14, 2007
NE Alabama
I have have had two Guineas run over in the road. Last Saturday, I found the remnants of my only solid white Guinea in the forest across the road (her wings and legs & some bones). She was a little over a year old. My dog is confined to my property so when they are over in the forest across the street (where they have nested a half dozen times), they are very vulnerable. I guess she was lucky to make it a year. I have had another couple to just completely disappear. I try to locate nests and bust them up before they go to sitting when the nest is way out on the forest From 14 adults, I am down to 9.

I had groups of 10, 5 & 9 juveniles (3 different ages) plus a Guinea hen raised with chickens. The 9 are still confined but the other two groups are near adult size so have been out awhile. The 10 & 5 groups have all been flying up and nesting with the adults in the big oak trees (60+ feet high). Night before last, one of the young Guineas in the group of 5 (and one of my Bounapartes) was taken off the roost. I only found some feathers. It could only have been an owl. We don't give Guineas much credit for being very smart but last night ALL the Guineas cooped themselves in with the chickens -- ALL of them. They have been sleeping out in the trees for months -- the only thing I can figure out is the fear of the owl. I just have a hard time giving them the credit of realizing that but can't come up with anything else. Anyone else had Guineas have a realization like that? I have a hard time believing.

I'm sorry I don't really have anything to add, as I am new to chickens and guineas as of this summer. But I am in the middle of building a large run for both to co-exist, and I really hope I can train my guineas to come in at night to sleep with the chickens as yours have started doing. Aside from that, I would like them to free range during the day, while the chickens remain in the run. I hope it works, as I would like to avoid the losses. I hope your guineas continue to come in, it sounds like a good choice for them!

Another thought I had was that it was not realization of the owl by the whole flock but perhaps, the flock leader relaized the owl and all the Guineas are just following him. he went in the coop because it is safe and they all followed.

That makes sense. Especially if he witnessed others being attacked. I'll be interested to know if they continue to come in long term. They are creatures of habit. Keep us updated!

yes that happened to me too
i had 5 at one time
first night something took 3 of them
they still roosted in the tree
about a week later 1 more was taken
then that night and from then till now(about 6 months) the last one has slept in the coop every night
refuses to sleep in the trees

As small as their little peabrains are... mine actually do learn from witnessing others being taken by predators. My full-time free range flock will always switch trees the next night if one gets taken by an owl. Also seems like each new generation of keets to hatch from the remaining adults are more "streetwise" than the last batch too
idunno.gif

I think mine learn from witnessing the bad preditors take a buddy too. Also they have been staying away from the road since two got hit about a month ago. I have also noticed too that this year's flock seems to be more carefull and staying in a tight group. I haven't lost any so far.

We have 28 chickens and 5 guineas and they have been raised together since they were 1 week old. They get along great, I was told that raising them together has a taming influence on the guineas and they are more likely to emulate the chickens in coming in every night. They are 6 weeks old now so they won't be free ranging for a couple of months which gives them plenty of time to imprint that the coop is home.

Back
Top Bottom