My hatch cam is now live!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sphinx, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wendywr1

I set eggs around 7 or 8pm on Friday, December 28th. They were all laid by my Cream Legbar, Indy.

[​IMG]
    I have three roosters in the pen- a white legbar rooster (shown behind Indy), a black copper marans rooster, and a golden laced polish rooster. I'm hoping that the legbar rooster is the father so that the babies are autosexing, but my gut feeling is they're all going to pop out black, indicating they're all fathered by the black copper marans.

I collected her eggs for a week. Towards the end, one of her eggs wasn't laid in the proper place, and it had some cracking at the blunt end. Because without it, I'd only have 4 legbar eggs, I decided to just leave it alone and set it (egg #6 is the cracked egg). Since I only had 5 eggs, I decided to get one more egg of hers out of the fridge. So, egg #5 was in the fridge for 8-9 days before getting pulled out to get set. The last egg was set Saturday morning, so it's about 12 hours behind everyone else.

This morning, which is about halfway through day 19, my son wakes me up to tell me he hears chirping. I thought he was crazy because my chicks NEVER hatch early. Ever. But, I went int, and sure enough, eggs 1, 2, and 3 had pipped. While I was trying to get the webcam set up, egg #5 (fridge egg) pipped.

Because they're so early, I don't expect anyone to hatch for a while, but you never know.

If you are interested, sit back and watch the pipped eggs.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    How do you get a cam set up to watch hatching??

3. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    It's really easy. First, you have to have a webcam. Most are fairly inexpensive ($20 or less). Plus it into your computer (most are USB run) and train it on your incubator. I personally like broadcasting from ustream.tv because it has a mobile app and it's very user friendly. You log in or create an account at ustream, then you hit the button to broadcast live, and away you go. It's usually less than 5 minutes to get it all set up.

I just twisted the incubator around, and my crack baby egg has pipped too, though it's kind of in an unusual place, about halfway along the egg instead of 2/3 of the way down towards the fat side.

So, 5/7 eggs have pipped. #7 was set about 12 hours after everyone else, so I expect it'll be the last to hatch.

4. Hypertay

Hypertay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    That is the tiniest incubator I've ever seen, it is adorable! Good luck, I'm eggcited!

5. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    It's a Brinsea Mini Advance. I call it the crockpot of incubators. You tell it how often to turn, how many days to count down, fill the one side with water, and then walk away. Every few days, add water. Very simple.

On the minus side, it only holds 7 eggs. Which my husband considers a good thing because I am somewhat limited in my chicken hoarding this way.

The only reason I have a hygrometer in there is because when I put the eggs into lockdown this time, a ton of condensation appeared on the plastic. Not sure way. The humidity is a bit on the high side, so I emptied some water out, but it's still almost 80.

6. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    One chick has hatched, and a second is zipping. I expect it will hatch in the next 10 minutes or so.

7. hillfloweranch

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    I'm missing the show! It won't load

8. hillfloweranch

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    [​IMG] fantabulous!! live hatching ...gotta try this [​IMG]

9. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah

:( Is your flash player up to date? That may be affecting it? I'm not the most technologically savvy.

I think we're just a couple minutes away, this little guy/gal really wants out.

10. Dotshines

Dotshines Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    McAlpin, Fl
    wow this is great. [​IMG]I am so excited for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by