My hatch cam is now live!

I'm so glad you guys got to watch those two hatch. I went to bed because I have a horrible cold with laryngitis, and I think it's turned into an ear infection too.  

Anyway, I woke up at 2:30MST and both the cracked egg and the refrigerated for 8-10 days chicks were both out.  They're now in the brooder with everyone else.

At this point, there's one egg left. It's pipped, but it got put in the incubator about 12 hours behind everyone else. It started incubating on Saturday morning, so it's just starting day 20 now. I had to add some water to the incubator, and checked on it, and it's still alive and chirping. It just needs more time to finish up. When it start zipping, I'll move the camera back to the incubator.

And yep, definitely looks like the marans fathered all of them.  There's two with spots on their heads, and it makes me wonder if they're little cockerels- that that part of the legbar autosexing features came through on them?  I'll have to wait and see, I guess.

I was hoping to get a chance to see them running around so I woke up at 5 am and they were gone! You moved them to the brooder to fast! Also I saw the middle egg with some motion last night(the one that's still hatching) he was poking through the shell with his beak :). Congrats! Make sure we see some pictures when they are all fluffy and happy in the brooder.

Adam, right now I have the camera pointed on the brooder. I'll take still photos later.

The final egg has made a little more progress, but I was going to keep the camera on the chicks in the brooder until the final egg is about to hatch.

It's made the hole a little bigger. I just tapped on the incubator a minute ago, and she/he chirped in reply. So, I think things are going well. I set that egg on a Saturday morning, so it's still a bit early to be hatching.

It's made the hole a little bigger. I just tapped on the incubator a minute ago, and she/he chirped in reply. So, I think things are going well.  I set that egg on a Saturday morning, so it's still a bit early to be hatching.

Is the whole big enough to see the chicks color? Is the maran the dad again? Lol.

There's a tiny tuft of black sticking out. Looks like that marans cockerel really gets around!

When they weather isn't so cold and miserable, I'm going to separate out my flocks so that the legbar doesn't have any competition. I really want to hatch purebred legbars.

These guys would be olive eggers, I guess- blue egg mom, dark brown egg dad? Seems like olive eggers. Of the 6 who are hatched, I see a bit of a spot on the head of two. I kind of want to mark them and see if they're boys.

This was a great hatch- all 7 eggs hatched, and everyone popped out nice and fast. I didn't even entertain the idea of helping anyone out of their shells. Everyone seems super vigorous and healthy too.

I love my Brinsea. I wish they'd send me more incubators since I do this living commercials for them LOL.

Back
Top Bottom