My Hatch Date Dilemma (First Time Hatching)

Duckstruck

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2016
East Tennessee
I got 24 hatching eggs from a friend of ours on July 16. All they told me is that they were not incubated for a couple days before she sent them here by car. None came broken, they all looked pretty nice. Since I don't have an incubator, I sat them under my broody hen.

Now, only 17 eggs remain, as some have broken.

For the past couple weeks, I've been documenting the 17's growth and movement beneath the shell. All except for a couple of them have shown signs of life; pulsing veins, kicking, flinching, and fetus growth. Last I went through them all was July 29, the night before expected hatch day.

Day 21 was last Monday, July 30, and none hatched. I checked the eggs for holes, but none had tried to peck through. Still, three days after day 21, none have these signs. I candled a couple today, and some were pushing into the air sack at the big end of the egg. The eggs have gotten pretty dark inside since the last candling. I might go through them again tomorrow to see if I can spot anything and check that the majority are still alive and moving.

I think possibly the couple days that were not incubated impacted the time it has taken for them to hatch. It has been pretty warm here and the broody hen has been loyal to her clutch. What are some signs of soon hatching? Any red flags? I'd also like to know how I should treat the chicks who could hatch earlier than the rest; do I need to separate them until all the eggs get a chance to hatch, or would the broody become disturbed and leave the nest?

Thanks for Reading.

I would definitely candle them as they're awful late. I'm wondering if broody got off the nest too often and delayed the hatch.

It's all up to the broody, are you going to let her raise them? If you are, you should be okay leaving the early hatchers alone as she should wait about 24 hours after the first chick before leaving the nest permanently.

24 eggs was too many to put under her. The rule of thumb is 12 eggs equivalent to the size she lays. Its easy for partially developed eggs to roll out from under her and get cold. Hatch is dependent on humidity and temperature and 21 days is a guideline.

The days in transit were fine - you're not supposed to incubate eggs until you are ready to put them into an incubator or under a hen. They are fine for at least a week after they were laid as long as they were stored at the right temp and turned daily.

The first chick hatched Friday. On Saturday, two chicks passed away in their eggs, but three more hatched. Today is Sunday, the eggs have had two full days to hatch.

I've been feeding them chick feed and giving them some water in their nest box, but I'll have to move them so they'll have access to feeders and waterers all the time. I thought maybe tonight I'd check the eggs for any late hatch, if nothing then I'd put the chicks and broody in a large dog kennel with the dispensers. Would it be too early to move the broody from the unhatched eggs? I had a mystery chick hatch past midnight last night.

The first chick hatched Friday. On Saturday, two chicks passed away in their eggs, but three more hatched. Today is Sunday, the eggs have had two full days to hatch.

I've been feeding them chick feed and giving them some water in their nest box, but I'll have to move them so they'll have access to feeders and waterers all the time. I thought maybe tonight I'd check the eggs for any late hatch, if nothing then I'd put the chicks and broody in a large dog kennel with the dispensers. Would it be too early to move the broody from the unhatched eggs? I had a mystery chick hatch past midnight last night.
I wouldn't move her until she gets up off the eggs in case you get a late hatcher. You can put some water and chick starter close to the hen & chicks and just leave them for another day.

Back
Top Bottom