My Hatching Journey: the Adventures of a Complete Newbie

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BantyChooks, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Hey! I resemble that remark! :gig

2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    With what, three incubators, I'd say you do.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  3. told you ain't she fun

4. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan

5. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Good night....

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  6. you, remind us of what it was like the first hatch . but you have to remember we or most of us traveled alone on our first hatch .have learned what we know by hatching . and hatching . all seasons . and all are different .what I have relayed to you is the basics of mechanical incubation. and in my opinion .environment is one of the most important aspects of incubation . if not the most important .and it all is very simple science . and every one wants to make it so complex .and to me it as simple as water boiling over in a pot . so providing the eggs are fertile all has been well and holding steady your candle should be good . but I have never in my life seen a broodie hatch 100% of her eggs . good luck Bubbles first candle soooooo exciding

7. just poured am drink and now your leaving nite Phil

8. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    I will try to get pictures if I can see clearly.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  9. you are all good . you have done the well the rest of us would have candled already less is better here

10. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    My motto is the less handling the better, and I have clean hands when I do.

I just love seeing the little heartbeats at four days, the little wigglers at 7 days, and the sloshy swimmers at 14 days. After that, they get harder to see. Recommendations are not to handle the eggs excessively in the first few days while blood vessels are extremely delicate, and not between 11 and 14 days while they go through some critical development. So I generally try to restrict my candling to day 7 and day 18. I rarely succeed. [​IMG]

The other great reason not to candle is the possibility of breaking an egg increases dramatically while handling it. I've never had a good egg break on its own in the incubator.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by