My heart is broken, Scovey Hen flew off yesterday

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PlumTuckered, Jan 23, 2011.

1. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Scooter my 8 month old Scovey Hen has always stayed close to the yard, duck pen and our other ducks, in fact she can't stand to be away from my 16 month old Pekin Hen at all. The last few days Scooter enjoyed flying above our property ( we have 35 acres) and landing by my feet then shaking her tail and singing...she was so proud of herself. Well yesterday afternoon she flew up over the house and came back down by my feet a few times then went to the duck pen to eat with the other ducks. An hour later I went outside and no Scooter, every other duck was there playing in their pool. We drove around the area calling for her, I've gone hoarse from walking along our woods and calling her, no sign of her at all. There are no unusual tracks anywhere, no feathers or other evidence of something grabbing her. I had hopes that when I went out to feed this morning she would be there waiting for me to let her into the pen but she wasn't there. I'm sick over this and can't help hoping she'll just come home once she's done exploring, but I'm also scared I'll never see her again :-( My husband thinks I'm nuts for being so upset about her being gone but I know you folks understand my heartache. When (if) she comes home I might just clip her wing to prevent this happening again, I know she loves to fly but I can't keep her safe if she's taking off like this so she's gonna be grounded.

I'm going to go out and walk up our road to see if she's visiting a neighboring pond, we went to the other ponds last night and no sign but I cant' help hoping she's just taking her time coming home.

Thanks for "listening"

Michelle

2. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    My heart goes out to you guys! I hope you find your hen soon. [​IMG]

I think most people on here know how you feel. They were so good to me these past few days since my hen disappeared. Tell the husband you aren't nuts! You just [​IMG] your ducks.

I will send positive thoughts your way for a quick homecoming!

3. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

aw im so sorry [​IMG]

maybe she flew off to find a mate or nest somewere shell probably come back im sorry:hugs [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]
    Hope she comes waddling back soon.

5. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Sorry again!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Michele_Lynd

Michele_Lynd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Indaina
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry I know how u feel My Muscovy Drake flew off and hasn't been seen since and I looked every where I just hope urs comes home

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    How awful for you - I can't imagine what torment you are going through, all you can do is keep searching and hope that she returns very soon, at least she has the advantage of being able to fly so she can get away from most predators!

I nearly lost one of mine recently, she flew into the goose compound overnight and she was attacked, she is much better now buy the first thing I did after treating her wounds was to clip her wings - we have 20 acres here and we are lucky that a river runs through our land keeping them fairly safe from predatory attack - I was amazed at how far and how high my Muscovy ducks could fly - but no longer!

Good luck with your search - keep us informed of any news [​IMG]

8. little horse

little horse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    centerville texas
    oh i do hope she comes home soon

9. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Thank you so much Everyone, I knew you'd understand.
    Still no sign of Scooter, I've walked, fourwheeled and driven all over our area and nothing, it's killing me. I love that dang duck so much and I'm miserable without her. I keep telling myself that she's not dead since I didn't find any feathers or other signs of harm. She's been gone just over 24 hours now, I'll keep calling out to her until it's dark and I'll keep ya'll posted.

Michelle

10. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    She might come back she just went sight seeing on her own.. I had a BLk Bellied Whistling duck that would take off and come back for several years.( First time she was gone for several days, the 2nd year she was gone for a day). She would always come back to me .. then in the fall of 2009 she got a mate and they took off together..

Ducks have great navigation skills . She knows where home is..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by