My Heat Management Trials

Airilith

Songster
10 Years
Sep 28, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
Well we've been having unusually warm weather this year. We've already reached the 90s for three days since April. Crazy! So it's already got me thinking and trying a couple of heat management techniques.

My first idea was large ziplocks bags of water, frozen, and placed in the run for them to lay near. The 8 weeks olds liked it, but the older flock just waited for it to melt, ripped the bag, and left it alone.

My second, and most recent (tried it today), idea was to get a cat litter pan (just the bottom, no top) and fill it with water for them to wade in. I found the suggestion on an old post here, and figured I should give it a try. I put the pan in the run for the big birds, and they were just wary of it. I finally decided to stop waiting when we hit 85 this afternoon and my girls we panting and just looking uncomfortable. I got my EE hen and put her in the water. She sat there for 30 seconds then hopped up and left. Then in went my BR hen. She liked it more but only stayed in the water for a minute or so. I figured that was a good first attempt.

I went about my day for an hour or so. I went back to check on them, and they were all panting. So I stared again with my EE. This time she laid there for almost 5 minutes. After I put her in, she shifted to get a little bit more comfortable and just looked like she was loving it. Then it was the BR's turn again. I put her in and she instantly relaxed in the water. She laid over on her side like she does when she's dust bathing. Then she proceeded to fall asleep. She didn't get out of the water for 15 minutes. It must have felt soooooo good.

My two silkies didn't seem to enjoy the water, but it did stop their panting right away. And both my RIR and BR roosters stayed in the water for a minute or two, and it stopped both of their panting as well. So this is definitely a great way to combat heat!

For those of you in warmer climates I would absolutely love it if you would share how you manage heat situations!

A lot of people seem to use fans or fans with misters. Good luck, we're heading into the warmer weather ourselves, I think????? lol

WWWEEEELLLL: 90 degrees ain't nothin
wink.png

1st thing: shade, shade, shade, and lots of water.

You frozen bag idea was a good start. You are better off using milk jugs, since they can't bust them open easily and they stay colder longer. In the summer I keep two in the freezer and 2 in the coop. I put 2 out before I leave for work and then switch them when I come home.

You can also make a little "air-conditioned room" like this:
36979_coop18.jpg

You could set up a mister on a timer system.

Frozen watermelons or other treats.

But mostly shade, shade, shade. Chickens do fine in 117 weather without any fancy stuff--just shade and water.

Thanks Laree!

I love the frozen milk container idea. And I have an old kennel I could put them in for a cool room.

I've heard of the mister idea, but I really don't knw what one is. Is there any chance you have any pictures of yours? And where do you buy one?

I've seem the misters at Sam's club. I thought that would make puddles therefore make the run muddy? I did put out many cookie sheets last year with water in them. The chickens would walk through it all day. I may try the cat litter box this year. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Quote:
What is this mud you speak of? In the summer in AZ, there is no such thing--the misters are used as an evaporative cooler. The misters lower the ambient temperature-- and the water usually never hits the ground. Also, I use sand in the coop, so mud is not an issue.

Misters can be big-honkin systems you can buy at Costco, or even just a little $1.25 misting nipple you get at Home Depot.
misting_umbrella_mister.JPG

Big Lots or Target usually have a little $5 jobber that stands upright and attaches directly to the hose--like a kid's sprinkler would.
363112.jpg

BTW- I don't reccomend you google images for "wet mister" at work.
droolin.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
Not sure where I found this image (most likely here on BYC) but I am constantley looking for ways to keep the girls warm in the winter and cool in the summer, I liked this idea so much I copied the picture so I can do something similar this summer.
cooler.jpg
Maybe a dog house with a couple of gallon milk containers.

Last edited:
Quote:
Lol! I was just pointing out that we were hitting 90 in APRIL!!! Very hot for us. So I'm definitely expecting three digit temperatures for prolonged periods of time this summer. That's why I want to be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom