My heifer gave me something yesterday....

Farmerboy16

Rebuilding my Farm
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Sparta, MI
She had a calf yesterday!!! WOOT!!! :weee

It was sorta unexpected. I knew that she was getting very close, and got the shed all cleaned out for the calf's arrival, and was going to pick up 4 bales of straw from a farmer at 7 pm. I had got started scraping the bedding out of the Chicken Mansion at 3 pm, but went in the house to get something, when my youngest sister ran in the house yelling that Bella had a calf! I grabbed my shoes and ran out of the door saying ''Where is she?!'' My sister said in the far corner of the 6 acre pasture right next to the woods! :eek: :barnie

Warning- picture and cuteness overload! :D

Days before birthing-

Bella- Angus/Guernsey cross

Yesterday-

See how close they are to the woods????

The calf trying to nurse.

Got it! YUM!!

The boys checking the calf out.

The weather condition, it rained hard later, and I was wet trying to get the calf to the shed, and it took us an hour to get Bella in the shed.

The calf is a girl!! We named her Maybelle, as she was born in the last day of May and the mother's name is Bella. :D The father of Maybelle is pure Angus.

Bella is very protective of the calf, she had charged at some of my siblings and me! When she had charged at me for the 3rd time, I gave her a firm smack on her face, now she does not go after me now, but at my other siblings. I milked her for the first time this morning!! Got 3 1/2 pounds of very yellow milk. Gave the milk to the dog and the pigs, they went crazy for it. I am sure that Maybelle had a few pounds of milk for breakfast, so I am not sure how much she is producing, but will know in a few days when I keep the calf locked up at night, so I can milk Bella for family use. But will let the calf nurse the rest of the day.

Awesome photos! Yes, mama cow will get rowdy if she thinks her calf is in trouble.

Awesome photos!  Yes, mama cow will get rowdy if she thinks her calf is in trouble.

I was just surprised when she charged at me. I have been giving her apples everyday, and giving her belly rubs, scratches where she likes to be scratched. We are good now. :)

love.gif
So cute.

So cool, I love when you get special surprises like this.
love.gif

THANKS FOR SHARING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw

you should post this on BYH too. : )

Oh my gosh, what a CUTIE!!!! and a little girl at that <3 Plus your Bella is simply beautiful, I can tell you take really good care of your girls :)

Back
Top Bottom