My hen and her nest

Sherrie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
NC
I have a very sweet little Frizzle bantam hen that has a very nice nest of Rocks, LOL, yes I said rocks. She has been sitting on them for a week now, there is 8 or so rock eggs under her. Guess I should just give her some eggs since she is wanting to be a momma so bad.. I am trying to figure out just where she found the rocks. LOL Poor girl.. Anyone's hens ever do this or is my just plumb weird?

I've had hens move eggs form one nest to another,don't ask me how she managed it,but no,never rocks. Your's is probably just plain weird,but in an adorable kind of way;)

How sad, but cute! She must be practicing her method of brooding. What if she pooped out those rocks?
gig.gif
Kinda like the duck that laid golden eggs.
lol.png

Mine like to move the Golf Balls around all the time. I find all 4 of them in the same nest box 3 or 4 days a week in my bigger coop and I just keep moving those Golf Balls back into the other nest boxes when I see it.

The other day one of my Silver Phoenix hens went broody and was sitting on 3 eggs and the Golf Ball in that coop so I took out the Golf Ball and moved it to the other side of the tractor/coop, removed the 3 Phoenix eggs (because I don't need any more Phoenix at this time) and put in some other eggs that I wanted her to hatch out. The next day when I went to check on her and the others I noticed that my Gold Phoenix (that hatched out a bunch of eggs for me about 3 months ago) had taken over that nest box and the eggs I had put in there and my Silver Phoenix had moved that Golf Ball from the other side of the tractor/coop over in front of the nest box and was sitting on just that Golf Ball. So I went and got some more eggs to put under her so now there is 2 Phoenix hens out there broody.

They are so funny with the things they do every day that I have to just set back and laugh at them sometimes.

Jayare

I havent even thought about golf balls, LOL.. Wonder how long she will sit on her rocks. She is so funny, guess I need to break down and just give her some eggs to hatch.. I might give her a few EE's.

Back
Top Bottom