My hen ate a large object

I took Sunni to the vet, and she had to be sedated. The veterinarian spent 45 minutes trying to pull the earring back up her throat, and she said that it was too large. There was just no way for her to get it back up without hurting her.

So we scheduled a crop surgery for first thing Monday morning. The veterinarian said that because of the size of the jewelry, and the weight of it, she doesn't think that it will go farther than her crop. It should hopefully stay put until her surgery on Monday. I will post an update after I pick her up Monday afternoon.

So sorry to hear that. I know anaesthetic can be dangerous with chickens. I did my crop surgery without any.... because I simply don't have access or knowledge to administer it. It seemed a bit brutal doing it with her conscious, but she was going to die if I didn't. I was amazed at how fast she recovered, as she was on her feet eating as soon as we let go of her after the surgery, like nothing had happened.

I'm so sad and disappointed that your girl didn't make it, but you did the best that you could. That is the third thread about chickens that ate foreign objects and died today that I have read. The other two died from complications of having those things inside them, so there is every chance she would have died a slow painful death if you had not opted for surgery.

I hope lots of people read this thread and the others and take precautions regarding their jewellery, so that other deaths can be prevented. It is so easy for it to happen.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I would have made the same decision you did, that object was not likely to pass on it's own. Sometimes despite our best efforts, things just go wrong.
I'm very, very sorry you lost your girl.

Back
Top Bottom