My hen can’t stand up

Gungfu45

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2022
First time post here. My hen is about 10 months old and can’t stand up. I noticed her trying to fly two or three times in a row. I went to see what was going on and realized the co-op door was closed. When I opened it she ran inside into the closed nesting box area. So I figured she wanted to lay an egg. I came back out about 5 hrs later and she was still in the enclosed area. She was panting and had some white on her waddle and liquid pouring from her mouth. She couldn’t stand up.

I took her out and Set her up in our small coop. The next day she ate a bit and I gave her water from a dropper.

It’s day two and she’s eating ok and drinking. Her poop is semi liquidy and green. She can move herself around the coop by shifting her weight back and forth.

I thought she may have gotten some poisoning from an old ph increaser container because I saw the white on her waddle. But now I’m wondering if she got bit or something. Her comb is bright red still. She layed an egg yoke with no shell the first day and today she did not lay an egg. She usually lays one egg a day regularly.

Thanks for any help!
Toni

How do I do that? I’m new to raising chickens.
The abdomen is in between the legs and underneath the vent. Here's a pic of where the crop is.

Attachments

• crop3.jpg
    crop3.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 6
I’m almost sure that abdomen is bloated. I’ll have to wait until tomorrow am to check the crop.

If she laid a shell-less yolk, was there a membrane or was the yolk just sitting on the bedding? It sounds like she is having some reproductive issue that may be affecting her an
ability to walk and for her crop to empty. Dehydration can also affect balance and walking. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Can you insert a clean finger into her vent up to 2 inches to feel for stuck egg? Can you try giving her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D, such as calcium citrate or even a Tums to see if she is able to lay? Make sure that she can reach water and food. Let us know if she is able to walk more later.

She hasn’t laid an egg since the day she laid the egg with no shell. I think there was a white membrane around it. She’s eating a decent amt. I found the crop and it feels like there’s grain in it. It wasn’t hard at all and not too full. She still can’t walk much other than waddling to get to food.

I gave her an epson salt bath, have her in a carrier in our porch close to food and water. I won’t be able to do a sling so I’m hoping this will work. I gave her yogurt in her food and apple cider vinegar in her water.

Back
Top Bottom