My hen has a crooked beak, seemed fine, nails are VERY white, why??

baldie

Songster
11 Years
Sep 25, 2008
Douglas, MA
My hen Claudette was born with a crooked beak. She is 20 weeks old now and has became the family pet, she is very loved. She hasn't been putting on any weight, but seemed fine otherwise. Today I noticed that her nails are extremely white compared to my other girls. Do you think I should give her the vitamins I give my baby chicks? Or is there something I could be giving her. She eats enough to survive it seems, but not enough to put on weight. Thanks, Chrissie

Do you leave food out or feed once a day (as I do). If so maybe she is being overly competed out for food because of the deformity? Not sure of the nails being overly white. You can give some vitamins if you wish, couldn't hurt.

can you post a pic?
maybe the beak can be helped.

are the shanks also white? pale comb?
she could be anemic.
describe the droppings..color and consistency.

it might be better if her food is put in a deep bowl instead of a regular feeder so she can scoop instead of pecking....
you can help her with water by giving drops on beak.
it's important that she gets water.

might try this mix:

regular feed, water cooked oatmeal, plain yogurt, cooked egg yolk..make puffy, not soupy..

scrambled egg or a little canned beef cat food might not hurt..

Last edited:
Hello, Her food is in a large deep bowl and she is kept in a dog kennel in the coop along with my black cochin roo. His name is Baldie and he is in the kennel with her because when he was little they attacked him and he lost almost all his feathers. He's doing fine now, but Him and Claudette (the one w/crooked beak) beacame best friends. They are the only 2 allowed to free range the whole yard. Her shanks are yellow, seem to be normal. She is a red sex link, and looks like the rest besides the nails. Our whole family will be very sad if she doesn't make it. I would love to post pic's, but I can't figure out how. Thanks, Chrissie

Back
Top Bottom