My hen has a swollen face and black spots on comb. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silverwarrior, Jul 10, 2016.

1. silverwarrior

silverwarrior Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2016
    So I have this 5 month old hen. Her partner died of Marek's recently and now she is sick. She doesn't show symptoms sane as the other chicken that had mareks. Her face is swollen around the eyes and her comb is pale AF. There have also been black spots on her comb for more than a week now.
    (The pictures don't clearly show the black spots as they are only on the left side of comb)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She looks in so much pain. She looks like she is crying. I want to cry out loud every time I see her. In just two days I lost my grandfather and the other chicken I had and one little chick I had(mareks I think).
    I have given her 250mg tetracycline antibiotic that fights bacterial infections. I mixed one quarter tablet in water and she drank a few drops. I also put two little pieces of the tablet in her mouth. I can't go to a vet or anything out of home (the house is full and busyy In mourning for my grandpa) but you can suggest medicines as I might have them at home.
    is it some kind of pox? Or is it Marek s? Help!!!!Quickkkkk!!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa.

It looks like she may have a respiratory disease. There are several different illnesses which present with facial swelling and discharge from the eyes so without knowing which one, it's a gamble as to whether treatment will be affective.
    Does the discharge smell?
    Any mucous from the nostrils?
    Any wheezing, coughing, sneezing, trouble breathing?

If she doesn't respond to the Tetracycline then you can try Tylan 50 injectable, given orally 1cc or ml per 5 pounds of weight.

When it is possible, after mourning, if you can take her to a vet, that will be best.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. ramsburgchicken

ramsburgchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2016
    Looks like symptoms of an upper respiratory infection caused possibly by mycoplasma. Has this flock been tested? I'd follow Wyorp's instructions. We weren't brave enough to do injections, so we took one of our girls with a similar illness to an avian vet. She gave us more oral antibiotics and had us do albuterol treatments 3x a day. Tatertot bounced back! She's more beautiful than ever! The black spots are old scabs, likely from other chickens picking at her in her weakened state. Is she separated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by