My hen has a weird thing sticking out of her butt

bob505

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
My hen has this red ball thing (seems like a inside body part) coming out of her butt and with it is a whole bunch of white stuff (i think its poop). I wasn't really worried at first since she seemed to act normal, but when i woke up today i saw my roosters but not her so i looked around for her and i found her in her nest type thing. So i just thought she was just laying a egg but then an hour later i noticed she wasn't with the roosters so i looked again and she was still there. Sorry that i cant give a better description, but i hope you guys cn help me out. If my camera works i will try to take a pic.

Last edited:
A pic will surely help, but it sounds to me like she has a prolapse. Try cleaning her vent and the surrounding area with some saline solution or some warm water. I would use vasoline to grease the vent real good and try pushing that "body part" back inside her vent very carefully. This sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't. You may have to do this several times, and even after she lay's she may prolapse again. After you do that apply preparation H to the vent area. That helps with the swelling. Goodluck.

Is it something she could die from? I will try to do it when my my parents get home.

Last edited:
I guess it is possible, but I wouldn't worry about that right now. It is not a disease. It is just something that happens from time to time. Try pushing that back in when your parents get home and see how it goes
hugs.gif

Alright thanks, I tried taking a pic of it but my camera's batteries are dead and i have no batteries left. Also what could be the cause of her staying in her nest thing?

Are the other chickens picking at the area around her vent? Because that's a problem with a prolapse is that it's red and then the other chickens might peck it. If you can separate her, like into a crate or cage, that might be a good idea. When your parents get home, either gently wash the area off, as has been suggested. Or you can fill your sink up with warm water (not too hot) and soak her bottom. That will get it washed off and help it to start shrinking. Then, as suggested, gently push it back in using KY Jelly or some other type of lubricant (vasoline). Just make sure the stuff does not have any additives in it, like a pain reliever ending in "caine" Some preparation H around the area should help. Also, keeping her in an isolated area, like a crate for a couple days is a good idea. Keep the area dark so she won't lay for a few days. That will give the prolapse a chance to heal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

My mom got home but she doesn't want to do anything because it sounds like something a vet should do. So is the thing hard to push in?

Well, if you have a vet you can take her to and your parents are willing, that would be the easiest thing. But really, it isn't hard to push back in. Just be gentle. And you do want to wash it first. That warm bath would be the best. And you will be surprised that they don't really struggle when you put them in the water. i've had to do this with several of my hens and they seem to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom