My hen has been limping

kchisho

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
Connecticut
My hen hurt her leg about 3 weeks ago. It didn't appear to be broken, because she could bare weight on it, but not much. I put her in a crate at night and let her in the run in the morning. She seemed better a couple of days later so I let her roost with the others. She ended up limping again the next morning. She must have strained it either jumping off the roost or getting pushed off by the others. I kept her crated at night for another almost 2 weeks and she seemed almost better. Last night we got home late and she was already on the roost so I thought I would let her give it a try. :( Limping again! Not sure if I should totally confine her or not. I hate to do that to her, but she seems to get better and I notice during the day she does take it easy except she's not totally off it. Any ideas?

She may just need some more time to heal. Maybe just bring her in at night for awhile or limit her time running around with the others to just a few hours a day. I hope she feels better soon.

She may just need some more time to heal. Maybe just bring her in at night for awhile or limit her time running around with the others to just a few hours a day. I hope she feels better soon.
I agree. My hen has a confirmed broken femur and although its only been two weeks she is trying really hard to move around and I know she needs a couple more weeks of down time before it's healed. They are like little kids...I'm find, I'm fine, I'm fine
wee.gif
...mommy I don't feel good.

Apparently, everytime she jumps down from the roost she reinjures the leg......How high is the roost?

I agree with everyone, more healing time, she needs to be "grounded" no roosting unless it is like 6" high.....
What breed is she?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the reply's. She is a golden buff. I tried to convince my husband last time that she needed a few quiet days in the crate, but he felt "bad" for her. Imagine that, he felt bad for a chicken! Anyway I convinced him this time to keep her in the crate while I was at work. I let her out tonight for an hour to stretch and dug up some worms for her. She still doesn't put any pressure on her leg, but I think you're all right about giving her more time to heal. I'll keep her in the crate for a while and just give her breaks to stretch and eat grass, bugs and worms. She has H20 and food in her crate if she needs it. Last time I gave her baths in epson salts and warm water. Believe it or not she loved her bath. I would rub her head and she would fall asleep in it. I'll try that as well. Thanks again :)

Well it's been a week and she still won't put any weight on her leg. She's not laying and not eating as much; although, she is eating. I've been making sure she gets food. I hope she's feeling better soon :(

Now we're going on two weeks and she is still not putting any weight on her leg. She just holds it up and hops around. I gave her a warm bath today and tried to feel around and message it. I don't feel anything broken, so I just messaged it for a while. Not sure what else to do. I thought of splinting it, but I'm not sure this would do anything for her. Any ideas?

Now we're going on two weeks and she is still not putting any weight on her leg. She just holds it up and hops around. I gave her a warm bath today and tried to feel around and message it. I don't feel anything broken, so I just messaged it for a while. Not sure what else to do. I thought of splinting it, but I'm not sure this would do anything for her. Any ideas?

Don't know why I didn't think of this before......maybe a slipped tendon? Is the leg that shes holding up, cocked to an angle at all?

No, it doesn't appear to be. She won't touch it down at all. She extends it down close to the ground after a warm bath and message, but its not improving and we're going on 3 weeks tomorrow. She's also molting now. Any ideas would be great or maybe I just need to wait it out.

I think you need to keep it warm, when I sprung my ankle I wrapped it with a fleece blanket and bandaged it. May be you could do the same - take a 12"x12" piece of fleece, wrap the leg with it, and bandage it, may be with a splint (two coffee stiring sticks from starbucks on two sides ?).

Back
Top Bottom