My hen has been limping

This is a tough one....OK, While you have her on her back, can you take her leg [with your hand] extend it out and push it back?
Does she protest at all?
If you pinch a toe does she feel pain?

I actually looked into the slipped tendon idea, because it happened when she was either knocked off the roost or jumped off herself. We have linoleum flooring the coop with pine shavings so it made sense. I did what was suggested: Pulled her leg back like she's was stretching it and then brought it straight down. I did hear a pop, but not sure it was the tendon because it came from up higher than the hind joint. I wrapped it last night, but I'm not sure how she's suppose to lie down and rest since she can't bend it. I waited to see if she could figure out a way and then just took her and layed her on her side. I'm not sure how she'll get any rest during the day. Hopefully whatever it was that popped, popped back into place. We will see! Thank you for all your help!

OHMY, she might have dislocated her hip???? and when you did that you put it back in place? I AM guessing at this point.....when you say that she cannot bend the leg is it by the hock joint or higher up [under the feathers-thigh area] that she cannot bend?
Please can you post a pic of her?

Yes, that's what it seems like. I thought I put it back in place, but her leg seems more turned in today. I just took the bandage off to take pictures and it seems a little swollen too so I left the bandage off. I didn't think I wrapped it too tight, but not so sure since its swollen. She seems more uncomfortable as well. Wimpering when I pick her up. I gave her some aspirin. What should I do for a dislocated hip? Sling?

I hope you get some advice on how to treat a dislocated hip. I fear we're now dealing with that in my flock too. Best of luck!

Hi - I took her to the Vet last weekend and she didn't think anything was dislocated. Its either a ligament or she felt she could be egg bound. I'm pretty sure she layed an egg yesterday so I don't think its that, but she's still limping. She uses it a little which is an improvement, but we're going on 4 weeks so I'm not so sure its going to get better at this point :(

Hi - I took her to the Vet last weekend and she didn't think anything was dislocated. Its either a ligament or she felt she could be egg bound. I'm pretty sure she layed an egg yesterday so I don't think its that, but she's still limping. She uses it a little which is an improvement, but we're going on 4 weeks so I'm not so sure its going to get better at this point :(

IF my memory is correct...ligaments take MUCH longer to heal than bones...[ligaments do not stretch, they tear] .and if the ligament got torn enough might not even be able to heal properly. SO you are still in that gray area of wait and see.............hugs to your hen....

That's exactly what I've been thinking. She still is not using it. She does move it back and forth when she is trying to walk and place it down, but doesn't bare much weight at all. I've been doing some exercises with it and she has a little bit more movement, but it's been at least 5 weeks. I'm not sure its going to get better at this point. She has very little if any muscle left in that leg. I also tried to see if she would grip with her foot and she has absolutely no grip. Not sure if there is anything else I can do at this point except wait it out. I thought of splinting it, but its most likely too late and would do no good.

Buffy has continued to make progress. She is walking much better, putting some weight on her foot when she walks. I still provide some exercises now and then, but mostly leave it to her to strengthen her leg. She started laying about 2 weeks ago and has laid every day since. Miracles do happen!

Back
Top Bottom