My hen has crusty yellow scabs all over her body! Please Help!

Fluff-A-Duff

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Hi, I have a 5 month old hen who had scaley leg mites and I treated her with cooking oil for 7 days and know she has dry crusty yellow skin on her face, neck, wings, and thighs,etc. Before the treatment she was fine and healthy exept for the leg mites but near the end of her treatment she started getting really sick. She was really lithargic and wouldn't move, hung her tail down, her comb was and still is pinkish white when it use to be red and she was sticking her feathers out. She is also stumbling over her feat and dosn't have good balance, and now she has this scabby yellow crust all over her body. It's been three days since the treatment and the oil is no longer on her. She is doing better and eats and drinks but I'm still worried about her scabby skin. It is starting to peel off around her face but it is still really dry and hard on her thighs. I was wondering is it possible this might be a allergic reaction to the cooking oil or could it be some kind of fungi or skin disease? She sleeps indoors at night and romes our fenced in front yard during the day. We have other chickens but I hand raised her when she was one month old, because her mother abandoned her and the other hens pecked at her head almost killing her (they killed her 5 siblings) and now she dosn't want anything to do with the other chickens. She doesn't follow them and instead completely ignores them. None of the other chickens have this problem. She is really special to me! Please help!

I hope you just used veg. oil? Your hen should not be reacting to the veg oil. I would guess the mites have moved to her body. You could try dusting her with Sevin 5, can be found at your local garden center. Dust her and her living space. Mites can be very hard to get rid of. Or you could put Ivermectin pour on (for cattle) found at your local feed store. Place one drop between shoulder/neck against the skin. Just like the flea drops for cats and dogs. Ivermectin must absorb through the skin. Repeat in 30 days. Mites can suck the life out of your chicken if they are bad.
D.gif

Hello thanks for your advice. We did used veg. oil. I looked for mites on her body and didn't see any, also she isn't ichy. The yellow crust is coming off and new healthy looking skin is replacing it and she is also doing better physically. But I will take you're advice. I also read that they will loose their feathers from the mites and she hasn't. There isn't any crust around her vent or back just her head, neck, thighs, and chest. The sighns Fluff-A-Duff is showing me is that it is some type of allergic reaction even if it was to something else. She is very special to me so any suggetions are greatly appreciated!

Maybe she was having a reaction to the oil. You would have been fine to just rub it on her legs once every seven days. Since her symptoms are clearing I would watch and see if the rest of the spots come off.
sharon

She doesn't have white spots on her. I really think it was a reaction to the oil. A lot of the yellow crust on her leg came off today. Color is also coming back to her comb. But if it was a reaction to the oil I'm not sure what I should use to get rid of leg mites if she gets them again. I don't want her to get sick from the oil again. Also during her treatment she had green pigment in her poo which was other wise normal. But after her treatment her poo returned to normal color. I've just never heard of a chicken being allergic to veg. oil before. You live and learn.

When treating for leg mites, you are really only supposed to treat the legs with vaseline or oil or what ever you decide to use. Were you covering the whole chicken with oil? If you were, my guess is the skin probably couldn't breathe which caused it to die off.

Next time, or as a preventative (I do every six months or so) you can try any other oil (like mineral or baby) or vaseline even. I just rub it on their legs once a six months to keep them from getting it.

Hi, I have a 5 month old hen who had scaley leg mites and I treated her with cooking oil for 7 days and know she has dry crusty yellow skin on her face, neck, wings, and thighs,etc. Before the treatment she was fine and healthy exept for the leg mites but near the end of her treatment she started getting really sick. She was really lithargic and wouldn't move, hung her tail down, her comb was and still is pinkish white when it use to be red and she was sticking her feathers out. She is also stumbling over her feat and dosn't have good balance, and now she has this scabby yellow crust all over her body. It's been three days since the treatment and the oil is no longer on her. She is doing better and eats and drinks but I'm still worried about her scabby skin. It is starting to peel off around her face but it is still really dry and hard on her thighs. I was wondering is it possible this might be a allergic reaction to the cooking oil or could it be some kind of fungi or skin disease? She sleeps indoors at night and romes our fenced in front yard during the day. We have other chickens but I hand raised her when she was one month old, because her mother abandoned her and the other hens pecked at her head almost killing her (they killed her 5 siblings) and now she dosn't want anything to do with the other chickens. She doesn't follow them and instead completely ignores them. None of the other chickens have this problem. She is really special to me! Please help!

I know this is really late, but i hope you see this. What happened with your hen. I have a Serama hen same issue. Her skin is thick crusty, peeling. Like a thick layer caught between feathers and skin... peeling face, everywhere. I have tried just about everything to try and help her. It also started after I treated her for scaly leg mites. All the others were fine but she developed this skin condition that I just can't seem to get rid of. She looks awful, and I am sure it can't feel very good. Hope to hear from you.

Back
Top Bottom