My hen has vent gleet

saxgoddess25

Songster
Dec 26, 2020
Tacoma, WA
Hi all. One of my lavender orps has a severe case of vent gleet. I didn't recognize it for what it was until it had progressed and the hen started isolating herself. I brought her in and cleaned her up and started treating topically with monistat. I had read about feeding her some too, but couldn't manage to get any into her - she's still sprightly enough to fight me. After three days, the vent issue looks better but she is still not eating or drinking. I have been giving her some water with a bit of apple cider vinegar in it (1 Tbsp per gallon) via syringe morning and evening. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get her eating and drinking again? It doesn't feel like she has sour crop.

Do you have any pictures of her vent? Have you tried offering scrambled egg, tuna, or moistened chicken feed? Some will eat canned cat food. Is her crop empty in the early morning? She really needs to drink. I would have plain water available to her as well in case she doesn’t like the taste. You can give her the Monistat cream 1/2 orally right into her beak twice a day.

I don't have any pictures, and I did try offering egg but she didn't seem interested. There is fresh water available in my isolation pen as well as the vinegar water. I'm trying the tuna. When I held it in her direction, she did peck at it, so we'll see. After treating her and getting a bit more water in her with syringe, I've left her alone for a bit to see if she might eat the tuna.

You mentioned monistat cream 1/2 orally morning and night I am trying to figure out dose. I am giving to a girl with sour crop with a 3 mL syringe filling about halfway. I would like to start on my gleet girl as well. It is helping my sour crop girl. What do you mean by 1/2?

Do you have any pictures of her vent? Have you tried offering scrambled egg, tuna, or moistened chicken feed? Some will eat canned cat food. Is her crop empty in the early morning? She really needs to drink. I would have plain water available to her as well in case she doesn’t like the taste. You can give her the Monistat cream 1/2 orally right into her beak twice a day.
What did you mean by 1/2 monistat orally? Trying to get dosage for my girl. Been doing it but giving .5-1 ml approximately depending how much I can get in

If it's a bad case it could have become sour crop or vice versa which why she might not be into eating much or drinking. Can you hear is squishing, smell? I truly believe that's what happened to my poor girl. Her butt was raw like that for a while, I feel terrible. I just thought it was pasty butt and she was messy but turned out she had vent gleet all this time and it become sour crop.

My hen has rebounded I kept her in quarantine for 7 days, first 24hrs no food, make sure crop is emptying, then soft foods like an egg once a day, monistat 2x a day orally. I did soak her butt in epsom salts and cleaned it off and applied monistat to the vent area as best I could.

If it's a bad case it could have become sour crop or vice versa which why she might not be into eating much or drinking. Can you hear is squishing, smell? I truly believe that's what happened to my poor girl. Her butt was raw like that for a while, I feel terrible. I just thought it was pasty butt and she was messy but turned out she had vent gleet all this time and it become sour crop.

My hen has rebounded I kept her in quarantine for 7 days, first 24hrs no food, make sure crop is emptying, then soft foods like an egg once a day, monistat 2x a day orally. I did soak her butt in epsom salts and cleaned it off and applied monistat to the vent area as best I could.
She passed today. She was too far gone for me to bring her back. I tried everything. First nystatin 2x a day for 7 days. Originally there were 2 hens that I quarantined together. I treated them both. Then safeguard 5 days. Finally treated for wry neck with vitamin E and b complex drops and foods high in E. I know one thing I didn’t know but makes sense is to not feed first 24 hours. Now I know for next time. There wasn’t ever a smell that’s why I was so confused. I had one before and beak smelled like cow manure. The gurgling was awful.

So sad. But you can only do what you know and you all help me so much. Soon I will be able to help others.

Sorry for your loss :( I have not dealt with a loss just yet but I know I will at some point. In both cases for sour crop I did induce vomiting to my hens. I know that many frown upon that and I understand but there was so much gurgling and I truly think it was really beneficial to just get all that gunk out quick, empty the crop fully, followed immediately by oral monistat. 24hrs of no food to make sure the crop is emptying.

My Plymouth Rock had wry neck, never heard of it before till I saw her with her neck all twisted. I did do the Vit E and that helped much, she's been ok since. But something is not right with her as she is not laying and hasn't for sometime. Zero symptoms, eats, drinks, active, comb looks good, poo looks normal, no mites, no worms and treated for such, can't figure it out. She was a little machine when I first got her laid one just about every day.

Back
Top Bottom