My Hen is Being Aggressive!

Yes, they have been separated for the last 2 weeks. They are in one pen, where the other hens can see them but not get to them. At 9 weeks old, I thouhgt they should be slowly introduced, under close observation, and all was going well, until that one hen started chasing at pecking at them.

That's unfortunate.

As others have noted, it always seems to be the low bird who causes the trouble.

It's often advised that if they're not drawing blood to just let them settle it. Do you have plenty of clutter and hiding places so the little ones can escape?

That's unfortunate.

As others have noted, it always seems to be the low bird who causes the trouble.

It's often advised that if they're not drawing blood to just let them settle it. Do you have plenty of clutter and hiding places so the little ones can escape?
They don't have a lot of hiding places unfortunately. How can I add some "places of refuge?"

Tote tubs on their side or even cardboard boxes work well. This way they can jump up on them if they need to get away, as well as something to run around if chased.
Thank you! It's kind of sad that they would be constantly on the run though. Will my hen's aggressive behavior die down or stop after a while?

I separate my 4 adult hens from the 9 week old chicks.
OK, good I thought you meant each hen lol.
Thank you! It's kind of sad that they would be constantly on the run though. Will my hen's aggressive behavior die down or stop after a while?
As the chicks get older it should slow down.

I have been integrating four younger pullets with 3 hens. I did the 'see and no touch' method when they were young. There is one hen who still doesn't like them and chases them every so often. Her behaviour towards them has since been getting better. Hopefully this will be the same with you. Good luck.

I have been integrating four younger pullets with 3 hens. I did the 'see and no touch' method when they were young. There is one hen who still doesn't like them and chases them every so often. Her behaviour towards them has since been getting better. Hopefully this will be the same with you. Good luck.
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom