My hen is being weird!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CottsChickens, Dec 10, 2014.

1. CottsChickens

CottsChickens New Egg

Dec 10, 2014
    So I got this hen, named Baby, around 4 months ago, and it was only 3 months old then. I brought it home and put it with another chicken of mine, a 9 year old Dominique. The Dominique was starting to act a little weird and I eventually split the two since I didn't want to infect the new chicken (which I believe is an Ameraucana/Silkie cross?) and the Dominique died a month later from a tumor in her neck/throat area.

During that time I didn't play with the new chicken tons since I was tending to the other chicken's sickness mostly, but after the old one died I began to spend lots of time with Baby. When I'd stick her out in the yard, usually Baby would look for bugs a little bit, then just stop and stare at the fence for actual hours.

Now that winter has hit, I put her in the garage in a wooden box/coop with a heat bulb to keep her warm. Lately, shes been acting weirdly (doing what I filmed in the video I'm posting with this), she is constantly clucking like something is wrong and is very difficult to hold as she flails around. She also seems to be clicking her beak lots, potentially cause she hurt her jaw somehow? She also sits on her perch leaning forward (like in the photo). Basically I have NO idea whats wrong (if anything??)
    She doesn't peck or be mean, but she just seems upset or something?
    [​IMG]

Heres the video -

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

First off, I do not think that is a Silkie. Second, chickens NEED to have other chickens. They are social animals. That might be the only problem. Maybe she does not have enough outside space, and that is why she looks at the fence.

3. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    looks healthy but not a sikie

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    She really needs some chicken friends. They do not do well alone. Also shut off the heat lamp. A fully feathered bird does not need supplemental heat.

5. Sjeane

Sjeane Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    Evans, Louisiana
    pretty chicken :) almost like a sultan/cochin cross or something. unique for sure.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    She's gorgeous! I want her!

Her behavior reminds me of what my roosters used to do when they were trying to entice a hen into coming into the coop and laying an egg. It's almost as if she's imagining she has a friend there with her.

She's obviously very lonely. You either need to spend more time with her or get her a friend.

7. Julia62

Julia62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    Yep, I was thinking lonely too.

8. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Do you have a run for her? She will need to get out throughout the winter. Chickens need to be able to roam and peck. I agree that she is lonely, and the heat lamp is not needed. Chickens are flock animals and I would never recomend having less than three, this allows the other two to at least have eachother if you lose one as you did. I think that your chicken may be having issues with seclusion and boredom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by