My hen is crowing and honking - respiratory problems or worms??

Quote:
Her eyes aren't watery and there's no discharge of any kind. Her vocalizations sound weird though. Different from before. She does stretch her neck out sometimes and sometimes she sounds a bit hoarse. But seriously, she makes these crazy rooster crows in the morning. And I'm in NYC where no roosters are allowed!!

There are occassions when there is no Rooster, that a hen will take on the traits of a Rooster. Generally the dominant hen out of all of them. I don't know much about gap worm, but you might look at that. Since she is stretching her neck, but they all do on occasion.

Our little rosecomb bantam is the head of our flock, though the rooster does the mating. She has always crowed. She also lays eggs and has brooded 2 new little flocks!

But aside from the "attitude" thing, once our calm and docile EE hen was chased nearly to death by a feral cat. She wheezed and honked for about a day, I think her screaming for help had hurt a vocal chord or swollen her airway. After I rescued her from the cat, I had her on my lap and called the vet, and one of our children gave a little Xopenex inhaler mist about a foot away from her. Eventually she calmed down. That was about 3 years ago, she's fine these days. She never was very vocal, so its hard to say if that screaming day damaged her permanently.

Our Silkie hen is not very bright, she often inhales the crumble type feed and honks, sneezes and wheezes. My hubby still makes mash just for her, but she's not bright enough to wait for it. If our local feed store sold our favorite feed in pellet form, instead of crumbles, we'd be happier. I wonder if your hen could be like her, inhaling crumbles?

I hope for you that it's just an acute thing that will pass.

Last edited:
Okay, I have to defend the Silkies here
tongue.png
They are not stupid, they can't see that well. So, I'm thinking they can not judge their distance that good, so they dig too deep into the feed. Yes, the dust from the feed will make them honk.

Back
Top Bottom