My hen is crowing - can I make her stop?

My dominant cochin hen did this once.....I have NO rooster in with my laying hens, so Esther decided she would crow like one. I think it lasted 4 or 5 days....then she just stopped.
Give your little girl some time, maybe she'll stop on her own also.

Interesting. I gave away my remaining rooster two weeks ago. Standard Cochin. He was a loud boy. Now the Cochin hen - Chickenardo - is getting all rooster-y. She gets up on me and starts making that warning sound. I was wondering what was going on. I hope she doesn't start crowing. I kept telling the DDs that Chickenardo was a boy's name.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Chicken Obsessed... lol!!! but I love it !
Chillin' With My Peeps... I agree with some of your ideas. I write from Brisbane, Australia. I have a crowing Minorca hen. She's an odd one because she's broody and motherly (unlike typical minorca hens) but has plenty of 'rooster hormones' going on with her crowing, large red comb, wattle and feathers (she even looks like a rooster!). When I brought an Isa Brown home she crowed and crowed... and bullied her... just to let her know she was the boss! I give the Isa Brown privileges (more free-range time and short visits in the house with special treats like watermelon) and more food which the minorca isn't blind-to - and then she crows to tell me she misses the isa and when I let her out she's nice to her.

I have a Sebright hen that can cock-a-doodle-do better than my rooster! It comes and goes with emotion ( usually if someone leaves)

Smoochie... I don't have a crowing rooster but BOY can my GIRL crow!!! She's SO loud! I felt the need to call our council just in case anyone complained and to get the 'heads up' on whether I'd be allowed to keep her :)

Depending on how badly you want to keep her you can try this.....

PLEASE DO NOT FLAME ME, this poster is asking for help and this is the only thing I know to do to help. Thanks in advance.
****************************************************************************************************

You can try limiting her movement by using strip ties to shorten her steps. This is slightly humiliating to the hen and may help to lower her status in the flock. She will still be able to drink and eat. You may need to lower her nest if the nests are elevated in your hen house.

She is crowing because she sees herself as the flock leader. She is crowing to challenge any chicken/hen/rooster that she thinks needs to know how important she thinks she is. Just like any rooster does naturally.

I have heard of a similar technique: limit her ability to stand up tall enough to get into the crowing position. This might help kick her out of it before her hormones subside
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom