My hen is crowing

MrsElliott

Chirping
Jul 14, 2019
SE Georgia
Hey y'all, so a month or so ago i posted about "what breed is this" y'all helped me out SO much and determined "she" is a Cornish X. Well we decided to keep her and let her live her best life (she was bought for eggs, but was supposed to be Orpington)
Ok fast forward a month..."she" has begun to crow. So that's pretty cool (not)
Anyway, my question is...this bird is HUGE i fear for my much smaller girls. And i literally had no idea how random chickens are at feed stores. I didn't plan in a rooster. Do they now need to be separated? Will he hurt my smaller girls if/when he decides it's sexy time?
Heeeeelp me out.

Can you post a new picture?

I can, we're it'll be a little bit. He's about 10lbs and the others are Orpington, RR, Easter egger, and Plymouth Rock. (5 hens (i think) and then the big boy. 2 are about 3mo old (so is rooster) and 3 are about a month old. Right now they sleep separately, but free range together. I don't have any recent pics, but I'll take one after i get my son to school.

If breed ID is incorrect at vendor, then sorting by sex is out the window if actual breed is not normally sorted by sex.

I am thinking so. It has a big ol comb and the hangy things under it's beak. Little nubs (spurs?) Are starting, but I've read hens can have the nubs as well. No saddle or long neck feathers yet, BUT it grew so fast, it's actually missing a lot if feathers underthw wings and on the belly (they're there, but still in the chutes. So I'm assuming the rooster "look" will come, its body just grew faster than the feathers.
My neighbor actually pointed it out bc she has had many Cornish X and some have ended up being roosters. Then after church yday, it was just crowing away...so there ya go.
I'm just wondering if i need to keep it separate from the others (they have always been together) and if he does decide to get down with the get down- will he hurt the girls? Like should that breed only breed w bigger chickens? My other ones are just so small in comparison. And not to be mean, but we got them for eggs. He will not be contributing to anything, i wanna keep him just bc we like him, but i don't want him to hump my egg layers to death...literally

I bet this is going to be a rooster.

I can, we're it'll be a little bit. He's about 10lbs and the others are Orpington, RR, Easter egger, and Plymouth Rock. (5 hens (i think) and then the big boy. 2 are about 3mo old (so is rooster) and 3 are about a month old. Right now they sleep separately, but free range together. I don't have any recent pics, but I'll take one after i get my son to school.

Attachments

• 1566822377224-885094577.jpg
    1566822377224-885094577.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 70
But if it is a Cornish X, I wonder how long the boy will last during sexual activity.

That's kinda what I'm wondering. We don't *want* chicks, and if it's physically dangerous to let him "be a rooster" as far has hurting himself or the hens, i just assume keep them apart. No one is laying yet. He JUST started crowing yesterday. But i know all of it is coming soon

Looks like a cornish rooster to me. I would not separate just yet. Your birds look happy and healthy right now.
I would start making plans for him. These birds are not long lived. There bodies are heavy and legs eventually can not support it. If there is no signs of harm or aggresion yet i would just be watchful of him.
If he does start to give your hens problems, look to dress him out.
We have an an Amish comunity that dresses your chickens for 2 dollars a bird.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom