my hen is dying!

haneen

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 30, 2008
yesterday my sister was picked up a hen and threw the hen in the air becuase she thought it could fly, but a couple ofweeks ago we cutt of the chikens wing becuase it could fly above the fence and it could ascape. so that hen, hetty, couldent fly and my sister didnt know it and then the hetty fell on the ground and she was badley hurt and she almost couldent walk:( anyway she was hurt and my sister wanted to take her to the vet, but nahh.
we thought that maybye she broke her egg. and if chickens brake their egg while it still is inside their body then they will die. so we gave hetty food and water and after a while she started to feel better. but she still is bad and she dosent walk and eat anymore, she just stands in a corner and close her eyes. but i dont want her to die!!
is there anyway to make her cured? please help me as soon as possible! thanks

Chances are she at least has some broken bones or maybe even internal injuries, If she lives through the night she may have a chance but it will take her a very long time to heal. Take some Gatorade and mix it 50/50 with water and see if she will drink that. It will help her get over her initial shick.

if she broke an egg inside her, she might be having some drainage from the vent..and/or yellow in her droppings.
what color is her droppings?
is there blood?
try making her a scrambled egg..
and you can give her water by drops on beak..

if you can..a vet is the best choice in this case.

How old is your sister?

It is never a good idea to toss a flightless bird in the air. There may be ways to "make her cured," but a veterinarian is going to be your best chance at this. If the bird is not eating, she is pretty sick and will eventually die.

We had a girl who was egg bound and eventually passed a broken egg...my 4H leader told us to give her a Tablespoon of cooking oil and the next day out it came...she lived through it and eventually layed eggs again too.
This isn't really the same because she was injured, but if you really can't take her to the vet (i would recomend it though) then try this I guess...just give it to her in a syringe once a day until something happens...she may have broken other things though...
sad.png
please tell your sis not to throw animals, even if they can fly...not appropriate!

She sounds like she's in shock, and likely has internal injuries. A vet visit is your best option.

Sounds like a visit to the vet is your best bet.

If she's not eating or drinking, she'll die; dribble some water with electrolytes/vitamins alongside her beak - you can get a bag of electrolytes/vitamins for chickens at most farm stores.

If you have a sryinge (without a needle), you can mix up some baby bird handfeeding formula (can be found at any pet shop - it's a powder that you mix with water) and give a little bit in her beak with a syringe - not too much, or she'll get it down her airway, which will cause death. But, if she's not eating or drinking, you need to get food and water into her as soon as you can. GOOD LUCK!

Back
Top Bottom