My hen is getting bullied badly

orpington123

Chirping
Apr 6, 2018
In my flock I have two mothers with 1 chick each and two other laying hens. The two chicks are nearly at the age when they can be taken away from their mothers. One of the mothers is a buff sussex and the other is a buff laced Wyandotte. The other two hens are Sussex’s. The two mothers are very good mothers but are not aggressive to others around their chicks and they wouldn’t be very protective of their chicks. However the buff Wyandotte despises one of the laying sussex hens. At feeding time the Wyandotte will go out of her way to chase the sussex away and not only for a few meters. She will chase it for a good 30 seconds or so all around the run. Normally if one of the hens get too close to another feeding hen they could get pecked but if this sussex comes even within 3 metres of the Wyandotte she will get the works 🥊. It’s gotten so bad that the sussex just squats down when the Wyandotte chases her and just takes the punishment. The Wyandotte will stand over her and consistently peck her over and over. I would really like this to stop. Anyone have any suggestions ?

You can try removing the aggressor from the flock for a few days, then bringing her back. This helped me when I had aggression issues. You can also try putting some pine tar on the victim's comb and her head, anywhere she gets pecked a lot. Chickens hate the taste, and as soon as your wyandotte gets little in her mouth, she won't want to peck your sussex anymore.

1. Multiple (3 or more) feeding and watering stations
2. Hiding spots so the bullied hen can get out of sight to her agressor
3. Alter the pen shape to a "C" shape or at least an "L" shape so there are separate areas

Did the hen always have this big of an issue or is it just since she's been broody?

3. Alter the pen shape to a "C" shape or at least an "L" shape so there are separate areas

Did the hen always have this big of an issue or is it just since she's been broody?
The hen was never aggres

she is not agggressive to any other hen in the flock and is not angry at the hen because she is too close to her chicks she lets all the other hens eat beside her and the chicks bit this hen is not getting a chance

In my flock I have two mothers with 1 chick each and two other laying hens. The two chicks are nearly at the age when they can be taken away from their mothers. One of the mothers is a buff sussex and the other is a buff laced Wyandotte. The other two hens are Sussex’s. The two mothers are very good mothers but are not aggressive to others around their chicks and they wouldn’t be very protective of their chicks. However the buff Wyandotte despises one of the laying sussex hens. At feeding time the Wyandotte will go out of her way to chase the sussex away and not only for a few meters. She will chase it for a good 30 seconds or so all around the run. Normally if one of the hens get too close to another feeding hen they could get pecked but if this sussex comes even within 3 metres of the Wyandotte she will get the works 🥊. It’s gotten so bad that the sussex just squats down when the Wyandotte chases her and just takes the punishment. The Wyandotte will stand over her and consistently peck her over and over. I would really like this to stop. Anyone have any suggestions ?
Something similar happens with me, I have two silkies and two pekins and one of the pekins will chase and peck the silkies and they won’t retaliate they will just crouch for her to peck them. If it is getting really bad, maybe try and seperate them in different runs for a bit. Just keep an eye that no blood is being shed, usually, its all quite superficial when they attack eachother but if they are getting really hurt, the only thing you can do is seperate them.

Back
Top Bottom