My hen is having vent issues (not sure how urgent this is)

Myah1011

Songster
Jun 26, 2023
I have owned chickens for 3 years yet never have I dealt with vent issues until today, when I went out to let the chickens out this morning I realized that Meatball my hen had a gooey string hanging out of her vent, some details about Meatball: she's one of my older chickens that is lower on the hierarchy because I see her getting picked on a lot so I'm not sure if she's getting picked on more than usual or not, also this morning she still ran away when I tried to pick her up and so she's not weak in that aspect. I did see her poop this morning as well even though the string was there she still went a little although it wasn't much it was all dark brown so I didn't see any concerning colors in her poop and besides the string out of her vent I'm not seeing any other physical symptoms appear on her. Since I've never dealt with a vent issue I don't know the severity of this situation so I would appreciate any help, I can also answer and questions about her if need be.

Attachments

• 20231207_073349.jpg
    20231207_073349.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231207_073347.jpg
    20231207_073347.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231207_073339.jpg
    20231207_073339.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 14
I have owned chickens for 3 years yet never have I dealt with vent issues until today, when I went out to let the chickens out this morning I realized that Meatball my hen had a gooey string hanging out of her vent, some details about Meatball: she's one of my older chickens that is lower on the hierarchy because I see her getting picked on a lot so I'm not sure if she's getting picked on more than usual or not, also this morning she still ran away when I tried to pick her up and so she's not weak in that aspect. I did see her poop this morning as well even though the string was there she still went a little although it wasn't much it was all dark brown so I didn't see any concerning colors in her poop and besides the string out of her vent I'm not seeing any other physical symptoms appear on her. Since I've never dealt with a vent issue I don't know the severity of this situation so I would appreciate any help, I can also answer and questions about her if need be.
Sorry I didn't get good pictures! I was in a rush this morning and she wouldn't stay still!

Does anyone know how urgent this is? Or what it is? I could try toget some more pictures in the morning but for now that's all I could get.

Back
Top Bottom