My hen is in PAIN!

mshuey1

Songster
Apr 23, 2011
San Antonio
My Hen is in pain her beck is shuddering at times, as if she is in pain her wings are droppy. I checked her plevic to see if she was egg bound and didn't feel anything hard in there. What else can I do. Am going to set her in a cage by herself to keep an eye on her and give her some pain meds am also going to put her on a heating pad.

does she have a fever? are the bottoms of her feet hot? is she dehydrated? does she need water given directly from a stopper?

Keep us informed.
fl.gif
hugs.gif

NO pain meds - unless avian specific pain meds by a vet. human or any mammal based pain meds can potentially kill chickens and any bird. even neosporin with pain reliever can't be used on chickens.

be more specific - how long has this behavior been going on? how old is the chicken? Poop - normal, runny, watery, foul, tarry, etc ...

respitory signs? (eyes, nose, breathing )

Physically check her over - feel all over her. look for wounds of any kind.

the signs shes showing aren't typically what you'd see in a bird for pain - birds do not typically show pain - they hide it very well - had one with a missing toe walk around with the slightest limp right after losing the toe. Had a rooster who got a freak puncture in his chest (never figured otu where he got it) go 3-4 days before I figured out he had a injury (only because I happened to feel it) - they are 'food' animals - and as such tend to keep pain or injury or illness secret and hard to tell.

Your hen sounds more like typical stress or even shock symptoms. - first thought would be trauma/injury. second thought is egg bound or internal layer - if she laid a soft shell internally or any egg and it broke - your not going to feel a solid hard egg.

you need to figure out what is causing her to act like this. only real treatment you can give without knowing specific cause is adding vitamins/electrolytes to water and if you want give a dose an antibiotics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom