My hen is just sitting listless in nest box...

Tho I haven't experienced a broody, the squatting didn't seem to fit and it concerns me.

Pedro, if it's real cold out I would also consider bringing her inside to a warm (though not too warm) quiet spot - maybe you already have - so she doesn't expend energy trying to keep warm.

I know the angst of not knowing what's wrong and am sorry you and she are going through this.................................................
JJ.

Quote:
Yes, I did. Her vent seemed fine. I just went to check on her and make sure she got a drink of water. She drank some and went back to her nest box.
roll.png

I don't blame you for being concerned...

not all hens act the same when they go broody..
it could very well be she is broody.

will she eat when removed from the nest?

does she seem to have any problems walking?

is her comb pale?

please describe her droppings (color and consistency)

Is she fluffing up when you pick her up.... or when you put her back on to the nest... does she shake herself and re fluff her feathers

Get her up off the nest every day.. make sure she goes outside and that she walks around and she eats and drinks... don't allow her back until she has done this... very important

After reading the part about her possibly being egg bound I checked again. I recalled that recently I had a hen with that problem. Not sure if it's the same one but she was acting the same way. What I did (after checking that there was no egg stuck in her) was clean out vent with a q-tip using a combination of sugar/warm water solution then I put some preparation H in/around her vent. It did the trick. She was up and running the next day.

(Since, she was acting the same way this hen was, it should have been a clue to me!)
roll.png

So, I did the same last night (sugar /water & prep H) and she's fine this morning. I went to look in the coop and not only was she out of her nest box, she was up with them yelling at me to get OUT!

She's still not 100% but she is out there...scratching, eating and doing her chicken things.

Thanks for all your information and your words of wisdom. I very much appreciate it!

I am so happy!
wee.gif

My question is, IF it's the same hen (Will pay closer attention next time it happens to see.), will this occur to her again? What can I do to avoid this? Vitamins? Feed? Any ideas?

Also...I don't remember where I saw this remedy and try as I may, I can't find it now online! I'm just curious if anyone here has heard of it?

Again, thanks...

Peace-

Pedro
cool.png

PS You ALL rock! I am SO glad I found this site.

Last edited:
There you go. Big egg. Hard to pass. (assuming it was hers) With the squatting, she was trying because she was uncomfortable. With any luck, this won't normally (when her eggs are smaller) be a problem...
Glad she seems to be feeling better! Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!
JJ

if you suspect a hen is having problems passing an egg..one method is to sit them on a warm pad..in a dark quiet place. the warmth helps to relax the muscles.

I have never heard of the sugar water/PrepH for egg passing problems..interesting!

I have heard of using sugar and Prep H for prolapse.
(sugar can act as a anti-infective)..you can also use betadine.

Back
Top Bottom