My hen is not a hen! Need to find a home in western WA for Roo

R3ranch

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 2, 2010
12 weeks ago, my family and I picked out 3 hens from the local feed store (RIR, Delaware, and Silver laced Wyndotte). This morning my wife and I were awakened to the teenage "crow" from one of our 3, ahem, hens. They are urban chickens (Kirkland, WA) and my neighbor will not tolerate the early morning crowing for very long. The Wyndotte rooster, Roxy (maybe Rocco would be more appropriate now) needs to find a good home. I'd like to find a home for him in which he will live out his days with a flock of chickens; meaning my wife would die if she thought there were any chance of him being raised for human consumption. . .she's bummed as it is since Roxy/Rocco was her favorite bird of the 3.

Roxy/Rocco is fairly tame. He doesn't necessarily care to be handled, but doesn't put up a fight once in hand. He seems to become more tame as each day goes by probably since I've been giving them so many treats lately.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks, Matt Stevens

56171_dsc_0300.jpg

Try placing him on Craigslist. You may have a hard time getting rid of him as there are a lot of unwanted roosters out there. Another thing to look for are livestock auctions in your area. You may be able to sell him at one of those. You will not get much for him and he will probably end up as someone's dinner, but at least he will no longer be a problem for you. It's a tough old world for roosters. There is not a great demand for them regardless of their merits.

Good luck.

you can try to home him thru a 4h extention as well. Sometimes 4Hers will take them for showing, or breeding purposes. not always the case with hatchery or feed store lots though since they are not usually "show quality" but worth a shot

thanks for the ideas, however it looks like I've found a home for him with a fellow backyard chickener who lives close by.

Back
Top Bottom